Jan 16, 2014, 6:53 PM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Brewers are “making a push” to sign free agent Mark Reynolds, who is said to be “leaning toward” signing with them. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports also hears that a deal is close.
It was reported earlier this week that the Nationals had expressed interest in Reynolds, but he’d be a backup there with Ryan Zimmerman at third base and Adam LaRoche at first. Milwaukee is a much better situation, as the club has an opening at first base after watching Corey Hart sign with the Mariners. The Brewers have expressed interest in other free agents (James Loney) and trade possibilities (Logan Morrison, Ike Davis) this winter, but they haven’t gone anywhere.
Reynolds, 30, hit .220 with 21 homers and a .699 OPS in 135 games last season between the Yankees and Indians.
UPDATE: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that it will be a minor league deal.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)