CC Sabathia signs with Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports

Jan 16, 2014, 8:25 PM EST

Now that Robinson Cano has joined the Mariners, Jay Z has a new Yankee in the fold at Roc Nation Sports. It’s left-hander CC Sabathia, who tweeted out the following picture earlier this evening:

Sabathia was previously represented by Brian Peters of Legacy Sports. The 33-year-old is signed through 2016, so he won’t have to worry about a new contract for a while. However, aligning himself with Jay Z could lead to additional marketing opportunities. There’s mutual benefit here, as Sabathia also adds some star power to Jay Z’s growing stable of athletes. Roc Nation also represents NBA superstar Kevin Durant and NFL players Victor Cruz and Geno Smith.

1. danrizzle - Jan 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Wouldn’t have expected CC to sign right-handed. And where the hell are they that there’s a solo cup on the table?

• indaburg - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM

• Reflex - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Suddenly imagining a scene from The Princess Bride on the mound…

CC Sabathia: You are wonderful.
        David Ortiz: Thank you; I’ve worked hard to become so.
        CC Sabathia: I admit it, you are better than I am.
        David Ortiz: Then why are you smiling?
        CC Sabathia: Because I know something you don’t know.
        David Ortiz: And what is that?
        CC Sabathia: I… am not left-handed.
        [Switches the ball to his right hand and gains an advantage]
        David Ortiz: You are amazing.
        CC Sabathia: I ought to be, after 20 years.
        David Ortiz: Oh, there’s something I ought to tell you.
        CC Sabathia: Tell me.
        David Ortiz: I’m not left-handed either.
        [Switches to bat right handed and regains his advantage]

(not a fan of either team, swap the players if you are a Yankees fan and it makes you feel better)

• indaburg - Jan 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I’m not a fan of the Yankees or the Sox, but since I am not a monster, I like both CC and Big Papi.

• yashraba - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM

solo cup right next to the ashtray and starbursts….guess it takes care of the munchies and cotton mouth whenr La Familia gets down with the celebrations

• pbastille - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM

My boyhood idol, Brooks Robinson did everything left-handed except play baseball:

2. NYTolstoy - Jan 16, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Seems like a pointless sign. CC is a Yank for 3 more years most likely 4. This is only for commercial reason. Sponsors and so on

• kruegere - Jan 17, 2014 at 12:33 AM

So…not pointless. Gotcha.

• NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:10 AM

My miatake..I mean pointless from a free agency stand point. It’s not like Jay Z is going to get CC a big contract at age 37. He will probably retire after this contract ends.

3. rexryanisablowhard - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM

CC looking svelte, dare I say…BSOHL

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Attached to this link there’s a video of him and Mark Teixeira on the Jimmy Fallon show, doing a scene from August: Osage County. CC’s looking tiny!

4. gibbskins9 - Jan 17, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Didn’t realize CC was up for another contract after his current on expires. Have fun in Fla. JayZ is a joke

• fanofevilempire - Jan 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM

yeah, Jay Z is laughing all the way to the bank, Jigga and Beyoncé are printing more money
      then the U.S Treasury Dept.

• jcmeyer10 - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:29 AM

For once I agree with you. Jay-Z just got his client signed for over 210 million dollars in a nice city with an owner who seems to care.

When I saw the Sox play the Mariners in Safeco two Labor Days ago, the fans that were there were into it.

• aceshigh11 - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Yeah, he’s a joke with a multi-pronged entertainment business worth $500 million and is married to one of the most lusted-after women on the planet.

I’d like to be a joke who has that for a punchline.

5. aceshigh11 - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:08 AM

C.C. looks incredibly slender.

No more “Cheesecake” or “Chocolate Chip” jokes from me.

6. deathmonkey41 - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Hopefully he’ll demand to rework his contract and get traded.

7. mtr75 - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM

His next contract will be with the Nagasaki Red Parrots for $2.3 billion.

8. madtownthrowdown - Jan 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Jay-Z is filthy rich and even he has to deal with the yellow and orange starburst’. Poor guy. If I were him i’d pay someone to only put red and pink starburst’ in the bowl.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5803)