Derek Jeter is “saddened” by the A-Rod situation

Jan 16, 2014, 7:42 AM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

The Captain has made his first public comments about Alex Rodriguez. As is usually the case with Derek Jeter, he hits the right notes and it’s hard to take any issue with what he said:

“As a teammate, you’re saddened by the whole thing. The whole thing has been kind of messy . . . he’s human. I’m sure it’s a rough situation.”

I feel like, once some time has passed, Jeter’s take — that he’s “saddened” — will be felt by more people. Not for A-Rod personally, as he’s done pretty much zero to earn sympathy from anyone. But generally speaking.

In the long view, this is going to be a story of one of the most talented athletes in the history of professional sports driving his career and legacy into a ditch. And no matter how much he deserves the disapproval he’s getting, it’s sad to see that happen. It’s all the sadder when, for the past decade, he’s had an excellent example of how one can and should carry himself publicly standing just to his left on the Yankees infield.

1. eshine76 - Jan 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM

It wasn’t that long ago when many thought ARod would one day be known as the greatest ever, and now he won’t even sniff he HOF.

• ptfu - Jan 16, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I think that A-Rod will eventually be selected for the HOF, decades in the future. Not the BBWAA, but via the Veterans Committee or whatever they’re calling themselves now. A-Rod’s tremendous accomplishments on the field will eventually emerge from behind his self-inflicted black PR cloud.

Of course, there will first have to be some kind of resolution on the whole PEDs issue, and the Bonds/Clemens/et al HOF cases will need to be sorted.

2. xpensivewinos - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I have a much different definition of the word “sad.”

I can come up with a million adjectives to describe A-Hole and the situation he created for himself and “sad” is not one of them.

3. nyeagles10 - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM

you know Jeter doesn’t feel sad for him. He a classy guy with a classy answer to that question . that’s why he is The Captain

• fanofevilempire - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:27 PM

You don’t know what he meant, nobody does, why can’t he feel sad for A-Rod, he doesn’t have to agree with anything Alex did, he could be compassionate.
      Maybe as a teammate of A-Rod he knows A-Rod is not a evil person.

4. deathmonkey41 - Jan 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM

It’s nice of Jeter to make a classy comment, but it would still be really weird if he sends him a gift basket.

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I bet AWrong hopes Jeter’s gift basket includes jars of PED’s-flavored pate and shortbread biscuits.

5. anxovies - Jan 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Typical understated remark by Jeter, who will undoubtedly be appointed an ambassador to some country by a future administration. I never bought the animosity between the two that was drummed up by the press when ARod was first signed. As somebody who is retired and with enough time on his hands to have watched just about every Yankee game in the past few years, I noticed in the TV shots of the dugout that Jeter could be seen most often talking to Rodriguez and the conversations looked very cordial. The two have a lot in common as highly paid professional athletes who are intensely involved in the game. The only real difference is Jeter’s low profile life style and ARod’s more controversial public life and his troubles with PEDs. As a player ARod seems to be a respected team member, which is probably why you do not hear the back door comments about him from Yankee players and the coaches that you hear from teammates of other players who have gotten in trouble.

6. themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Does Derek Jeter always refer to himself in the 2nd person like this? I think I’ll give it a try. Oops. Pardon you. You mean “You’ll give it a try.”

You never want to appear to be judging a teammate. The best thing is to attempt to remain neutral and you should speak to human side of the issue, rather that allow yourself to engage in finger pointing. This way, you can refer to your teammates troubles from a humanistic angle and still not be seen as soft on drugs.

Well that was neat. I think I’ll spend the rest of the day talking like this. My employees will be so amused.

• bigharold - Jan 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I think they’ll be more “amused” when they find out the Boss thinks it’s ok to post to blogs at work.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 16, 2014 at 12:47 PM

There are rules for their conduct and there are rules for mine. I wrote those rules. Can you see how this works?

ps: I take it as a matter of pride that they gave me a Michael Scott t-shirt for Christmas. Says “Worlds Greatest Boss” on the back.

7. bh192012 - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Did you feel the same way about Bernie Madoff? I don’t get it. The guy has made a career of cheating. Screwing over other teams, pitchers and players. I have no idea if he ever was “one of the most talented athletes in the history of professional sports.” We never got to see what “he” was capable of.

Just to be clear, I also don’t feel sad for about the Lance Armstrong situation. I see these as stories about better than average athletes who’ve soiled the record books for the actual “most talented athletes.” I think the emotions you should be feeling are anger or disgust. Maybe joy at finally getting at the narcissistic cheater, who many have suspected of beign a PED abuser.

Ok, I think I’ve come to a better understanding now. If you were an ARod fan, I could understand sadness. I’m just not sure why you would be an ARod fan. You have my condolences.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM

A-Rod stole Billions of dollars, and ruined peoples lives?

8. fanofevilempire - Jan 16, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Jeter, A-Rod and Garciapara all came up together and were friends, the beef came up when
    A-Rod told a magazine when he thinks of the Yankees he thinks about Bernie and O’Neil and
    this was when they had completed their run, so Jetes didn’t like that too much.
    I do agree you see them getting along really well in the team surroundings and A-Rod is liked
    by his teammates despite any garbage reported.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto