Jan 16, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
From the annals of chutzpah. This comes from KCRA TV in Sacramento:
Paris said his son was racing toward home plate to score the winning run during a Lakeside Little League game last spring when the boy threw off his helmet in celebration.
“He was so excited,” Paris said.
In legal papers filed in court, the teen’s former coach, Alan Beck, contends the boy “carelessly threw a helmet, striking Plaintiff’s Achilles tendon and tearing it.”
The coach is suing the kid and the league, natch, for $500,000 for pain and suffering and over $100,000 for lost wages and medical bills.
I know what you’re thinking: this guy is pathetic. Maybe so. But think about the precedent this sets. How many of you parents out there have been injured by your own children? God, I’ve lost count how many times my kids have injured me! Indeed, I’m suffering from constant stress and anxiety that I may, at any moment, step on one of their Legos when I’m not wearing my slippers. THAT HURTS.
So, thank you Coach Beck. You may be an opportunistic jerkwad who can’t accept that sometimes accidents just happen, especially when kids are involved, but you may allow me to make some money by following in your footsteps.
Mookie and Carlo: YOU’RE ON NOTICE
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (229)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)