Jan 16, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
From the annals of chutzpah. This comes from KCRA TV in Sacramento:
Paris said his son was racing toward home plate to score the winning run during a Lakeside Little League game last spring when the boy threw off his helmet in celebration.
“He was so excited,” Paris said.
In legal papers filed in court, the teen’s former coach, Alan Beck, contends the boy “carelessly threw a helmet, striking Plaintiff’s Achilles tendon and tearing it.”
The coach is suing the kid and the league, natch, for $500,000 for pain and suffering and over $100,000 for lost wages and medical bills.
I know what you’re thinking: this guy is pathetic. Maybe so. But think about the precedent this sets. How many of you parents out there have been injured by your own children? God, I’ve lost count how many times my kids have injured me! Indeed, I’m suffering from constant stress and anxiety that I may, at any moment, step on one of their Legos when I’m not wearing my slippers. THAT HURTS.
So, thank you Coach Beck. You may be an opportunistic jerkwad who can’t accept that sometimes accidents just happen, especially when kids are involved, but you may allow me to make some money by following in your footsteps.
Mookie and Carlo: YOU’RE ON NOTICE
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)