Mike Trout can leap

Jan 16, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

I’m sure Miguel Cabrera backers will claim that Trout’s offseason leaps are far less valuable than Cabrera taking smaller jumps during the season, but I still feel like you should all see this.

Also: Mike, I realize you’re not making big bucks yet, but dude, buy the guy who filmed that a real camera. This is kinda embarassing:

1. timmmah10 - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM

That had to be filmed on a flip phone.. jesus I haven’t seen something with pixels that large since NES.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Damn you. Now I have a hankering for some Super Mario.

• timmmah10 - Jan 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Damn it… now that you said that I do too.

Or, RBI baseball… since that was a recent post on here…

I can hear the music now… and the high pitched sound of a pop up…

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Reminds me of the old Joey Gathright video jumping over cars:

3. themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Sh!t! That was pretty impressive. I think he just leapt over >5′ straight up. Even when I was at the hight of my athletic peak, I could not have done that. In fact if I’d tried I suspect a paramedic or two would have had to attend the session.

• Old Gator - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM

You get yourself a whoopee cushion and begin practicing from the sitting position.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM

The inevitable injury will smack of gross sexual misconduct in the ER.

“Uh, so you want to know how this table here got bunged up my rear, hmmm? Well Doc, its like this. I was watching a home movie and attempting to recreate a training move by Mike Trout and failed…” <= that sounds as fishy as the old "I fell on the bottle now stuck in my arse" excuse commonly heard in emergency departments.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Wow. So at the height of your athletic ability you were less athletic than one of the best althlete in the world?

How very odd.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Once upon a time I fancied myself as quite the athlete. A delusion shared by no one but myself. A broken leg, several yards of skin, and the donation of at least a pint of blood to the environment disabused me of that notion rather abruptly one fine summer day when I was 19.

4. jarathen - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM

This does not at all induce Angels fans to hyperventilate at thoughts of the machine breaking, sending Mike Trout tumbling to the ground and breaking his precious baseball bones.

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I’m now of the opinion that Mike Trout doesn’t deserve the MVP based off the fact that his friends video vertically. Forget Alex Rodriguez, Trout is the real enemy of humanity here.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Trout and Cody Ransom both. Truly generational talents.

But seriously, anyone who shoots video in portrait orientation should be beaten with thorny branches

• themanytoolsofignorance - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I think he’d have leapt upwards out of the frame if they’d filmed it landscape.

7. km9000 - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I would love if it turned out this thing was shot backwards, and the sound was added in. But considering the video format, I’m guessing not.

If we get another clip where Trout solves a Rubik’s cube blindfolded with his feet, that could be suspicious…

8. cardinalcrazy - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM

They used such a terrible phone to disguise the fact that it’s really Michael Jordon jumping instead of Michael Trout. We all know white men can’t jump.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jan 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Gene Wilder’s character from Hanky Panky was most certainly white.

9. proudlycanadian - Jan 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!

• proudlycanadian - Jan 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM

edit function: “small buildings”

10. yahmule - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Not to diminish Trout’s jump in any way, JJ Watt of the Houston Toros (I know, but Texans is such a stupid name) can do the same thing @ 290 pounds.

• spudchukar - Jan 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Thanks, I got to see Sam Gordon run again.

11. necrondi - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

TFBUCK= Read my mind. Dude you were never in your wettest dream as athletic as any professional athlete
    , let alone Mike Trout. That is why you are here and Mike Trout is banging hot broads
    , jumping over people, and counting the days until he gets that 300 million.

• yahmule - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM

You’re trash talking the wrong person in your oddly formatted post.

12. mvd513 - Jan 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Big bucks, ha. Yeah, his “minimum salary” isnt ten to twenty times more than most of us will ever sniff at.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4025)