Jan 16, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
David Price and the Rays won’t be going through an arbitration hearing, as the two sides have agreed to a one-year, $14 million contract. For comparison, Tampa Bay’s entire payroll last season was $58 million.
Price will be arbitration eligible for the final time in 2015 before hitting the open market as a free agent, which is why he’s been the subject of trade speculation that will no doubt continue. I’d bet Price read a few articles about Clayton Kershaw yesterday.
He made $10 million last season, starting 27 games with a 3.33 ERA and 151/27 K/BB ratio in 187 innings as the follow-up to his Cy Young-winning 2012 campaign.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)