Jan 16, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
After securing Brad Penny as a non-roster invitee yesterday, the Royals added another familiar name today by signing reliever Guillermo Mota to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Mota hasn’t pitched professionally since 2012 as a member of the Giants when he posted a 5.23 ERA over 26 appearances. He served a 100-game suspension that year after his second positive test for performance-enhancing drugs. That was the longest PED suspension ever before Alex Rodriguez‘s recent ban. Miguel Tejada was handed a 105-game suspension last summer, but it was for amphetamine use.
Mota owns a 3.94 ERA over 14 seasons in the majors. He’ll turn 41 in July.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)