Jan 16, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
After securing Brad Penny as a non-roster invitee yesterday, the Royals added another familiar name today by signing reliever Guillermo Mota to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Mota hasn’t pitched professionally since 2012 as a member of the Giants when he posted a 5.23 ERA over 26 appearances. He served a 100-game suspension that year after his second positive test for performance-enhancing drugs. That was the longest PED suspension ever before Alex Rodriguez‘s recent ban. Miguel Tejada was handed a 105-game suspension last summer, but it was for amphetamine use.
Mota owns a 3.94 ERA over 14 seasons in the majors. He’ll turn 41 in July.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)