Bobby Parnell: “In my head I feel like I’m still the closer”

Jan 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Bobby Parnell AP

Mets closer Bobby Parnell went on the disabled list after a perfect inning of relief on July 30 and did not return, eventually undergoing surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck. It was an unfortunate end to his first season as the team’s full-time closer, as he had a 2.16 ERA and 22 saves in 50 innings before landing on the shelf.

Parnell, now 29 and ready for spring training, believes the closing job is still his. He said in a conference call, “In my head I feel like I’m still the closer. I’m going to go along with that until told otherwise.” The Mets and Parnell recently avoided arbitration, agreeing to a one-year, $3.7 million deal in his second year of arbitration eligibility.

While the bullpen last year had a few veterans with a modicum of closing experience, their bullpen going into 2014 is relatively young and inexperienced. Behind Parnell, the Mets have Jeurys Familia, Josh Edgin, Gonzalez Germen, Vic Black, and Scott Rice, with the 32-year-old Rice being the only one older than 27.

1. Old Gator - Jan 18, 2014 at 8:50 AM

In my head, I’m the mayor of the bottled city of Kandor, and me n’ the city council just voted ourselves a raise.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM

in your head you actually think you write something useful around here but you don’t

• Old Gator - Jan 18, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Pretty funny, coming from our virtual village anencephalic.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM

don’t feel bad, im a legend around here, you are not the first or last person I took to school and right now, school is out!

• Old Gator - Jan 18, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Which means, I take it, that you flunked out of another special school, and you still can’t spell, punctuate or construct coherent sentences.

Three legends off to Cooperstown