Jan 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Mets closer Bobby Parnell went on the disabled list after a perfect inning of relief on July 30 and did not return, eventually undergoing surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck. It was an unfortunate end to his first season as the team’s full-time closer, as he had a 2.16 ERA and 22 saves in 50 innings before landing on the shelf.
Parnell, now 29 and ready for spring training, believes the closing job is still his. He said in a conference call, “In my head I feel like I’m still the closer. I’m going to go along with that until told otherwise.” The Mets and Parnell recently avoided arbitration, agreeing to a one-year, $3.7 million deal in his second year of arbitration eligibility.
While the bullpen last year had a few veterans with a modicum of closing experience, their bullpen going into 2014 is relatively young and inexperienced. Behind Parnell, the Mets have Jeurys Familia, Josh Edgin, Gonzalez Germen, Vic Black, and Scott Rice, with the 32-year-old Rice being the only one older than 27.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 79
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 22
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15