Brett Gardner and the Yankees avoid arbitration

Jan 17, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

brett gardner yankees getty Getty Images

The Yankees avoided arbitration with Brett Gardner by agreeing to a one-year, $5.6 million deal.

That’s $3 million more than he earned last season, when he hit .273/.344/.416 with eight homers and 24 stolen bases. With Jacoby Ellsbury in the fold, Gardner will man left field this season. His last before hitting free agency.

1. NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Glad they got it done. I wonder if the Yanks will retain him after this year. He won’t get a contract like Jacoby but he will get paid. The guy is truly undervalued.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Ichiro and Soriano will be gone so if they don’t trade him for a pitcher I think they will
      offer him a contract to return.

2. deathmonkey41 - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I have friends that truly dislike him as a player and I don’t understand why. I wish he would bunt more for base hits, but otherwise, he’s a nice player to have.

P.S.

Did you know Tolstoy originally titled War & Peace, “War- What is it Good For?” but then changed it.

• happytwinsfan - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM

and as we relearn every year at playoff time: “events not men are in the saddle”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Seinfeld was extremely overrated

• NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM

@church…that’s your opinion. That show was hilarious and I enjoyed watching it through the 90s till now. Just because you didn’t like it means it was over rated.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Seinfeld has to be one of the best sitcoms of all time.

• Reflex - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Seinfeld was great for people who like repetitive themes and absolutely nasty human beings. I do not, and thus for me it was rarely even amusing. I would not want to be around those people in the real world, why would I invite them into my living room once a week?

News Radio, on the other hand, was fantastic.

• bigharold - Jan 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Nope, Seinfeld was absolutely over rated. Good but not really great.

In fact I couldn’t sit through an entire episode until it was of the air for years. In fact I had to get stuck on a ferry between CT and LI before I did see an entire episode in on sitting.

• NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM

@deathmonkey Lmao love the reference. ..to add to it I actually kind of get if people dislike Gardner. He tends not to bunt very much or steal alot of bases or what people expect him to steal with his speed. He tends to wait for too many pitches before he takes off which puts the batters in a hole waiting for him to go. But he has a great OBP and I think a bigger issue is that Giradi uses him in the bottom of the line up instead at the top, hopefully this year Jeter moves down and Gardner gets a chance at the top or near the top of the line up

• Reflex - Jan 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM

This could be rephrased as “He avoids making outs”. Which is a good thing. Its part of why he has a high OBP, and a good ratio of SB to CS.

3. southofheaven81 - Jan 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Not to make EVERY Yankees-related post about A-Rod, but I really liked that Gardner came racing out of the dugout ready to fight after Rodriguez got beaned in Boston. He’s a solid player no matter what, but I like guys that back their teammates no matter what personal crap they’re going through.

4. uyf1950 - Jan 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Based on my best analysis the Yankees with these settlements have just exceeded the $189MM tax threshold for 2014, including all the arbitration eligible updates. When I account for a mere $1MM in very easily attainable incentives by Kuroda and Roberts. My GRAND TOTAL as of today comes to $190.026MM +/-.

Running Account of Yankees 2014 Team Payroll based on AAV for MLB Luxury Tax Purposes:

Players Under Contract:
    Soriano…………………….$4MM
    Thornton…………………..$3.5MM
    Nova………………………..$3.3MM
    Johnson……………………$3MM
    Ryan………………………..$2MM
    Kelley……………………….$1.765MM
    Wells……………………….ZERO (NO LONGER WITH CLUB – DFA)
    Roberts…………………….$2MM
    Cervelli…………………….$700K

Pre-Arbitration Players I’ve included at this time in the 25 man roster, estimate based on increases from what those players made in 2013:
    Nunez……………………..$575K
    Phelps…………………….$575K
    Claiborne………………….$533K
    Pineda…………………….$550K
    Warren…………………….$512K
    Cabral……………………..$512K
    Huff…………………………$533K

A-Rod……………………..$3.156MM – See Misc. explanation below

Total of the 25 Active Players I anticipate making the Roster as of 12/20/13: $174.026MM +/-
    Balance of 40 Man Roster: $4MM (estimate)
    Benefits charged to all teams by MLB: $11MM (it was $10.8MM in 2013)
    Very Attainable Combined Incentives for Kuroda (IP’ed) & Roberts (PA’s): $1MM

GRAND TOTAL spent or anticipated to estimates: $190.026.MM +/-

NOTE:
    Misc. A-Rod Explanation: A-Rod’s suspension for the entire season means the Yankees will save about $24.3MM against the 2014 luxury tax threshold. A-Rods luxury-tax figure is $27.5MM, but Joel Sherman of the NY Post notes (via Twitter) that the Yankees will be assessed about $3.16MM of that, since 183 days, and not 162, counts as a year. The Yankees will however save his entire $25MM in salary.
    Also the above totals do NOT include any of Jeter’s bonus opportunities such as MVP, etc…
    Keep in mind this list may change periodically but as of 1/17/14 it is very representative of the Yankees payroll situation for MLB luxury tax purposes.

I WOULD ANTICIPATE IT’S FULL SPEED AHEAD IN SIGNING TANAKA AND WHOEVER ELSE THEY NEED TO FILL THEIR REMAINING HOLES.

• cackalackyank - Jan 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Great post uyf. When I look at this closely I feel supported in my conclusion that the 189 million “goal” went out the window more or less after last years post season miss. This was then affirmed through the high dollar signings of Ellsbury, McCann, and Beltran. Once those happened I don’t think there was any turning back, since it still left the rotation two starters short.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3332)