Brewers sign Mark Reynolds

Jan 17, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

Minnesota Twins v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

Making official what was reported last night, the Brewers have signed Mark Reynolds to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training. He’ll get $2 million in upfront money if he makes the team, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

Reynolds still has tons of power, but even while smacking 21 homers in 135 games for the Yankees and Indians last season he posted a measly .699 OPS while hitting below .225 for the fourth consecutive season.

At age 30 he seemed destined to wind up with a part-time gig, but instead there’s a good chance he’ll begin the season as the Brewers’ starting first baseman. Reynolds made $6 million last season, so a minor-league deal is a helluva step down, but it’s a good opportunity to potentially resurrect his career.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM

This is a decent fit. He is OK as a fill in at first base for a non contending team. He is much better at first base than at third.

• NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Good thing they got him to play third then? Am I right? Brew crew thinking outside the box.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Aaron wrote that Reynolds has a good chance to be the starting first baseman for the Brewers.

• NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I read somewhere he was going to play alot of third…I could be completely wrong though. Either way this doesn’t look like a great move for the Brew crew. Can’t play defense very well. Has lost some power. Strikes out even more now.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Corey Hart has left the Brewers and has signed with the Mariners, so the Brewers have an opening at first base.

• natstowngreg - Jan 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM

They aren’t bringing back Alex Gonzalez to play first? I’m shocked! Shocked!

• brewcrewchamps - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:14 PM

He’d only play third if/when Aramis gets hurt. Mostly he would be playing first base either in a platoon with Juan Francisco or by himself. Either way the crew could have filled the hole better if they hadn’t waited until january to pick someone up

• mmeyer3387 - Jan 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

You are right at saying that as a hitter he does not have a good obs and he strikes out a lot. However, he still has power and plays a good 1st base, but he is not very good at 3rd. I would hope he does well, he’s a good guy that always plays hard and is a good club house guy.

• NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Proudly. I respect you so I will agree that all you said is pretty accurate. ..I don’t remember what I read, it may have been on another website that Reynolds would be playing alot of first base for the Brew Crew. Either way I still sat it’s a bad idea to give this guy a ton of playing time

• NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I meant third…Damn you brain

2. roanboon - Jan 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hit a home run or strike out. Don’t waste the fans’ time by farting around on the base path. Btw, glad to see Doug Melvin staying busy.

3. karlkolchak - Jan 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM

21 dingers in 135 games isn’t a “ton” of power. More like a half-ton in a strong breeze created by all of his Ks.

• NYTolstoy - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Funny enough the way home runs have gone down these past few years 21 can very well be a ton in 2014. Remember last year 27 dingers was tied 4th MOST in the league.

4. natstowngreg - Jan 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM

*breathes sigh of relief that he didn’t sign with the Nats*

5. roanboon - Jan 17, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I had an ephemeral moment of hope when I saw a Brewer headline on this blog. It had been a while. But then someone mentioned “a platoon with Juan Francisco.”

6. clesportsfan - Jan 17, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Farmers Almanac: It will be very windy in Milwaukee this summer…

7. braxtonrob - Jan 18, 2014 at 2:22 AM

The way this guy (Mark Reynolds) approaches the game, I’m not even sure he LIKES baseball.
    Frickin’ awful.