Jan 17, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins have avoided arbitration with outfielder Giancarlo Stanton and relievers Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn. Stanton, in his first year of arbitration eligibility, has agreed to a one-year deal worth $6.5 million. The slugger, one of baseball’s premier power hitters, portends to become very wealthy in the coming years if he can stay healthy. He is eligible for free agency after the 2016 season.
Following his first season as the team’s closer, Cishek and the Marlins agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.8 million in his first year of arbitration eligibility. Dunn, also a newbie to the process, will take home $1.4 million on a one-year deal.
With an additional $11.7 million on the books, the Marlins now have about $32 million committed to nine players. The rest of their roster will be comprised of players not yet eligible for arbitration and players signed to minor league and non-guaranteed deals. Based on their current trajectory, they will very likely open up 2014 with a payroll lower than last year’s $50.5 million.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)