Jan 17, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins have avoided arbitration with outfielder Giancarlo Stanton and relievers Steve Cishek and Mike Dunn. Stanton, in his first year of arbitration eligibility, has agreed to a one-year deal worth $6.5 million. The slugger, one of baseball’s premier power hitters, portends to become very wealthy in the coming years if he can stay healthy. He is eligible for free agency after the 2016 season.
Following his first season as the team’s closer, Cishek and the Marlins agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.8 million in his first year of arbitration eligibility. Dunn, also a newbie to the process, will take home $1.4 million on a one-year deal.
With an additional $11.7 million on the books, the Marlins now have about $32 million committed to nine players. The rest of their roster will be comprised of players not yet eligible for arbitration and players signed to minor league and non-guaranteed deals. Based on their current trajectory, they will very likely open up 2014 with a payroll lower than last year’s $50.5 million.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)