Jan 17, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Desmond will get $17.5 million for his final two seasons of arbitration eligibility, and can then become a free agent following the 2015 season.
Desmond has established himself as one of the best all-around shortstops in baseball, posting back-to-back 20/20 seasons while hitting a combined .286 with an .812 OPS in 288 games over the past two years.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)