Jan 17, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Desmond will get $17.5 million for his final two seasons of arbitration eligibility, and can then become a free agent following the 2015 season.
Desmond has established himself as one of the best all-around shortstops in baseball, posting back-to-back 20/20 seasons while hitting a combined .286 with an .812 OPS in 288 games over the past two years.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 3
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)