Jan 17, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
In the interest of full disclosure before I jump into the meat of the subject and poke some fun at some Jeopardy! contestants, I consistently whiff on a good 99 percent of Jeopardy! clues. But when it’s Teen Jeopardy time, or if there’s a baseball category, I’m ready to risk it all on a Daily Double.
Recently, three Jeopardy! contestants ran into a question involving Roger Clemens:
354 wins did not overcome the controversy as this ex-Red Sox pitcher didn’t make the Hall of Fame cut in 2013
Gudrun, the first contestant to buzz in, guessed Pete Rose. Rose was neither a pitcher nor a member of the Red Sox, and he was — ahem — not on the ballot in 2013.
Stacy, buzzing in second, guessed Curt Schilling. All things considered, not a bad guess. Schilling was on the Red Sox, on the 2013 ballot, and occasionally controversial, but he retired with only 216 wins.
Sarah, last but not least, guessed Mark McGwire, which was only the second-worst guess of the three. McGwire was not a pitcher, though he was on the ballot and was, of course, involved in some controversy.
Trebek’s response to Sarah was a snide “heh, no”. Listen to it on an infinite loop at Deadspin. Make it your ringtone.
Trebek revealed the answer, Roger Clemens, to the row of contestants. He added, “Obviously, you’re hoping that baseball does not come up as a topic in the second round.” No word on if Trebek quit “once and for all, really“.
You can watch the clip on YouTube here.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)