Jan 17, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
In the interest of full disclosure before I jump into the meat of the subject and poke some fun at some Jeopardy! contestants, I consistently whiff on a good 99 percent of Jeopardy! clues. But when it’s Teen Jeopardy time, or if there’s a baseball category, I’m ready to risk it all on a Daily Double.
Recently, three Jeopardy! contestants ran into a question involving Roger Clemens:
354 wins did not overcome the controversy as this ex-Red Sox pitcher didn’t make the Hall of Fame cut in 2013
Gudrun, the first contestant to buzz in, guessed Pete Rose. Rose was neither a pitcher nor a member of the Red Sox, and he was — ahem — not on the ballot in 2013.
Stacy, buzzing in second, guessed Curt Schilling. All things considered, not a bad guess. Schilling was on the Red Sox, on the 2013 ballot, and occasionally controversial, but he retired with only 216 wins.
Sarah, last but not least, guessed Mark McGwire, which was only the second-worst guess of the three. McGwire was not a pitcher, though he was on the ballot and was, of course, involved in some controversy.
Trebek’s response to Sarah was a snide “heh, no”. Listen to it on an infinite loop at Deadspin. Make it your ringtone.
Trebek revealed the answer, Roger Clemens, to the row of contestants. He added, “Obviously, you’re hoping that baseball does not come up as a topic in the second round.” No word on if Trebek quit “once and for all, really“.
You can watch the clip on YouTube here.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 10
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 28
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)