Jan 17, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
I get a lot of press releases about promotional things, odd events, weird ceremonies, goodwill trips and the like. Most of them are kind of boring. This one is fun:
Red Sox relief pitchers Junichi Tazawa and closer Koji Uehara, who was named the American League Championship Series Most Valuable Player, and Wally the Green Monster will visit Tokyo to share the 2013 Commissioner’s Trophy, presented annually to the World Series Champions, with baseball fans in Japan.
Uehara and Wally will present the World Series trophy and a Red Sox jersey to the Prime Minister Shinzō Abe. Then there will be a reception with U.S. ambassador Caroline Kennedy. Then a fan reception and then a thing at at something I did not know existed: the MLB Café which is “an MLB themed restaurant serving a menu inspired by American ballpark food.”
Hope they have helmet nachos there. I’m never going to a country where I can’t be sure I can get helmet nachos.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 50
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)