Jan 18, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Clubs angling to sign Masahiro Tanaka made formal offers by Jan. 16, Nikkan Sports reports (Japanese link). The list of teams includes the Yankees, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, White Sox and Cubs, with nearly all clubs putting together offers worth more than $100MM over six years.
Noticeably absent from that list are the Angels, who could really use another front-line starter and were thought to be a potential Tanaka suitor but apparently don’t have room in the budget to make such a massive financial commitment.
Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reported Saturday morning that the Cubs are the “lead team” to sign the 25-year-old Tanaka, but this bidding process has been shrouded in mystery and there probably won’t be much factual reporting on the exact offers until after the Japanese right-hander settles with a team.
For what it’s worth, Nikkan Sports pegs the D’Backs’ proposal at six years and nearly $120 million.
Tanaka went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA last season for the NPB’s Rakuten Golden Eagles.
His signing deadline is January 24 at 5:00 p.m. ET. That’s next Friday evening.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)