Jan 18, 2014, 12:08 AM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the Mariners have signed reliever Joe Beimel to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Brown adds that scouts have said Beimel’s velocity is back after he had Tommy John surgery in May of 2012.
Beimel last pitched in the Majors in 2011 as a member of the Pirates. He posted a 5.33 ERA in 25 1/3 innings before being released at the end of August. Since then, he latched on with the Rangers, who released him at the end of spring training in 2012, and with the Braves in May last year. In 33 innings with Triple-A Gwinnett, Beimel posted a 4.36 ERA.
Beimel will turn 37 on April 19 but this is a no-risk signing by the Mariners.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 21
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)