Jan 18, 2014, 12:08 AM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the Mariners have signed reliever Joe Beimel to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Brown adds that scouts have said Beimel’s velocity is back after he had Tommy John surgery in May of 2012.
Beimel last pitched in the Majors in 2011 as a member of the Pirates. He posted a 5.33 ERA in 25 1/3 innings before being released at the end of August. Since then, he latched on with the Rangers, who released him at the end of spring training in 2012, and with the Braves in May last year. In 33 innings with Triple-A Gwinnett, Beimel posted a 4.36 ERA.
Beimel will turn 37 on April 19 but this is a no-risk signing by the Mariners.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 0
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 130
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (130)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)