Jan 18, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT

The Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome was the home of the Twins from 1982 though 2009, after which the team moved into Target Field, so it only makes sense that we check in on their old stadium as it enters its final days.

Courtesy of the Minnesota Vikings’ Twitter account, below is a look at the Metrodome before and after its trademark roof was deflated this morning. The demolition process will soon begin in order to make room for the Vikings’ new stadium, which is set to open in 2016. They’ll play at the University of Minnesota’s TCF Bank Stadium until it’s ready.

The Metrodome hosted the World Series in 1987 and 1991 and the All-Star Game in 1985. Our resident Minnesotan, Aaron Gleeman, is surely toasting the stadium’s memory with a mimosa right now.

1. cackalackyank - Jan 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I still miss hearing that someone hit a ball off the “trash bag”.

• stabonerichard - Jan 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM

As do I. One example that comes to mind is listening to the radio call as a kid, as Puckett banged one off the baggie to drive in the winning run as the Twins walked off against Tom Henke & the Jays.

2. luisrivasbuttocks - Jan 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM

And good riddance.

I will admit the some holds some special memories for us Twins fans. It also could be a pretty cool atmosphere for Viking games. I’m not old enough to have ever experienced outdoor baseball, save a few childhood trips to old Busch stadium. Target Field is an astronomical improvement over this ugly dump.

I will thank it and maybe even miss it some for the nostalgia of Puckett, Black Jack Morris, Randy Moss and others. But I’m glad to see it go. Here’s hoping for the new Viking’s stadium to being as badass as target field and hopefully one of our teams ending this horrible championship draught!

3. happytwinsfan - Jan 18, 2014 at 1:03 PM

i have a ten gig pixel photo in my head of my son, then about 5, holding his hands over his ears because the “twins yell” was so loud when they trotted out on the field to start the game in which they clinched the 1987 central division title.

back then you could buy nose bleed seats for 5 bucks. hate it that for a sports franchise to be competitive they need a stadium which entices millionaires to give billionaires thousands of dollars for their seats.

4. yordo - Jan 18, 2014 at 1:41 PM

A sad day for baseball. The game is meant to be played in a dome.

• jackdaniels1 - Jan 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Agreed. Although I’m not a big fan of the new artificial surfaces that looks pretty close to the real thing. Bring back the 1970′s paper thin green stuff laid over a slab of concrete

5. hardkor07mn - Jan 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM

It will be nice to see a modern stadium, but part of me is going to miss the old girl. Lots of great memories as a kid in that place.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM

kinda reminds me of the bluejays season last year…deflated….reminds me of their upcoming season…and old gasser’s brain….deflated

7. moogro - Jan 18, 2014 at 5:35 PM

It’s ultra-megala-absurd that the Vikings and the U of M couldn’t work sharing a stadium construction on U of M property at the TCF site. There’s loads of parking and tons of lots for expansion, a mpls-stp light rail coming with a stop right there, easier dispersal of traffic than downtown. Now after the U of M spent all that money and eschewed all the additional revenue the Vikings stadium would bring, and the Vikings losing out on all the money a U of M partnership would being, MN taxpayers are helping to pay for another football stadium a mile or so down the road downtown. Awesome.

• schke - Jan 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM

It is awesome. Gophers deserve their own stadium, Vikings theirs.

• louhudson23 - Jan 19, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Clearly wasteful,bad economics and bad civil planning. Stupid is the word that comes to mind.

• billyboots - Jan 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Have you been to a game at the Bank? There isn’t any parking down there except residential. I went to the homecoming game this year and had to walk 14-15 blocks and we got there an hour before the gates opened. The Vikings will be that bad every week, not just on homecoming weekend.

8. Reflex - Jan 18, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I actually saw my first major league game at the Metrodome while visiting a friend in Minneapolis in 1998. Twins/Orioles and we got good seats on the third base side so we could watch Cal. As I had never been to another major league park, and the only pro ball I’d ever seen was the low A Eugene Emeralds, the Metrodome was a huge step up and a great experience.

In a way I’m sad to see it go. But I will admit that it was nowhere near as nice as Safeco Field now that I live in a MLB city…

9. hardkor07mn - Jan 18, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I totally agree with you moogro. The problem is see is that the Wilfs want their own building to double the value of the team. The sad thing is that we pay for it, and they reap the benefits if and when they decide to sell. Kinda BS if you ask me. I’m a small business owner, sure wish the state of MN would build me a new building to work out of. Instead they tax the crap out of me.

• schke - Jan 18, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I understand what you’re saying, but here’s what some don’t want to consider.

I bet your small business doesn’t bring in .0000000000000000001% of the tax revenue that the Vikings do. Minnesota is a state that taxes visiting players’ salaries every time they play in state. Every time the Yankees come to town for a 3 game series, for example, the state collects in excess of 2 million dollars.

Players salaries, the millions of fans attending games, buying things, patronizing businesses, buying Minnesota gas, staying in Minnesota hotels, etc etc etc……

The state will more than get it’s money back from their investment of the Vikings stadium. Throw in the fact that TCF is a COLLEGE football stadium. It’s not big enough, and the area around it isn’t conducive to hosting NFL games, future events, etc etc. It’s located in the heart of a major college campus for crying out loud! Plus, it’s outdoors. No, it was the right call to have both teams have their own stadium.

Add in the fact of the thousands of added jobs because of the construction of the stadium.

• forsch31 - Jan 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I would think that the number of Twins home games v. the number of Vikings home games would negate that point.

10. favrewillplay4ever - Jan 18, 2014 at 11:24 PM

When are the Yankees going to play at the new Vikings stadium? I understand your point, but if the Wilfs had paid for their own stadium (or privately financed it like Robert Kraft in New England), would the state not still collect the same amount of tax revenue from opposing teams players in town for games?

I find it unbelievable that the tax payers of Minnesota have paid for 3 stadiums now (Target field, TCF, and Vikes new stadium) in less than 10 years.

• schke - Jan 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I used the Yankees as an example people. Just an example. I live in Minnesota. I’m well aware the Yankees won’t be playing the Vikings in the new Vikings stadium. :)

And yes, if owners would finance their own stadium, the state would still benefit from the tax revenue it generates. BUT, honestly, it’s just not done that way. Is that necessarily fair? No. Do people have a right to be upset about that and think it’s BS? Absolutely. But what’s the alternative? Lose the revenue and lose the team? It’s a matter of life issue too. Former Gov. Arne Carlson said in the 90′s (because the Vikes have talked about getting a stadium for that long), he said, “Without the Vikings, Minneapolis would be a cold Omaha.”

How right he was.

Keep in mind, the Wilf’s, and other investors, are still paying more than half of the total cost. The state isn’t even covering half.

• louhudson23 - Jan 19, 2014 at 4:09 AM

If you meant to make a case for the public getting screwed at the expense of someone who can more than afford to pay his own way,you did a very good job.Profit taking while passing on the cost and risk is not a free market characteristic and is the epitome of Trickle Down-Corporate Personhood-1% Welfare that has driven our economy and middle class into the ground for thirty years now..and our economy and our people will continue to suffer. And pointing out that people in other cities get screwed the same way by corporate takers is not much of an argument….

11. Dogsweat - Jan 19, 2014 at 1:17 AM

The Hefty Bag has been taken to the trash. What a pile of dung this place was.

Three legends off to Cooperstown