Jan 18, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Bailey, who is entering his final year of arbitration, asked for $11.6 million and was offered $8.7 million when arbitration figures were exchanged yesterday. While a panel of arbitrators could decide on his 2014 salary if the two sides can’t make progress before next month, Jocketty told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he’s focused on getting a multi-year deal done.
“In Bailey’s case, we were working on a multi-year [deal],” Jocketty said. “The agent [Casey Close] has [Clayton] Kershaw and he has [Masahiro] Tanaka also, so he’s been tied up with that. We just didn’t anticipate getting it done, but we exchanged numbers in the event and we will continue to negotiate and hopefully get something done before the hearing date.
“I am optimistic,” Jocketty said. “I just think it depends on where they feel the market settles in on free-agent pitchers. Hopefully, we’re not too far with our estimate and with their estimate about the market going forward. What it will be based on is what market for a guy like Bailey will be in the future.”
Bailey turns 28 in May and owns a 3.58 ERA in 65 starts over the past two seasons, so he could be looking at a $100 million deal in free agency if he remains healthy and effective in 2014. The Reds will have to make a very generous offer for him to pass up on a chance to test the open market.
- Marlon Byrd hits disabled list with fractured wrist 0
- Red Sox acquire Alejandro De Aza from Orioles 25
- Video: Lloyd McClendon got ejected, threw another tantrum 30
- Albert Pujols ties Jimmie Foxx on the all-time home run list 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 84
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 15
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 10
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (186)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (99)