Ryan Madson to throw for teams in February

Jan 18, 2014, 6:38 PM EST

ryan madson getty Getty Images

Ryan Madson hasn’t appeared in a major league game since 2011 due to right elbow issues, but he was one of the best relief pitchers in baseball before undergoing Tommy John surgery and should be able to find an incentives-driven contract this offseason.

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported Friday that Madson is planning to throw off a mound for interested teams the first week of February. Rosenthal hears that the Phillies, Red Sox and Royals are among the clubs that will attend.

Madson, 33, posted a 2.45 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 126/29 K/BB ratio in 113 2/3 innings during his final two seasons (2010-2011) with Philadelphia. He signed a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Angels before the start of the 2013 campaign but lingering elbow complications kept him from pitching in a game for Anaheim.

1. nymets4ever - Jan 18, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Wonder what poor unsuspecting team he’ll fleece next?

2. dkphilly1122 - Jan 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

When healthy Madson has a nasty change up……as long as they do their due diligence on his arm and make sure he is good to go offer him a one year prove me deal…I mean whoever wants him. I would take him back in Philly if he is healthy.

3. NYTolstoy - Jan 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Things like this make me scratch my head. I believe over the past two years he made a combined 11 million dollars while actually never throwing a pitch. I really think if a player can’t play his contract due to injury or what not he shouldn’t get his whole contract. You know like a workers comp where you sometimes get 30% or so on of your regular check. It seems like a waste of money when all these players can’t play.

Also I know insurance covers a % of the contract when injured but still

4. nhlandmlbrumors - Jan 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Hmmmm. A once great setup guy that is often injured. Sounds like a perfect fit for the Red Sox

5. sfm073 - Jan 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM

No one forced the teams to give him those contracts.

6. metalhead65 - Jan 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

if he feels good and wants to prove he is worth a big contract then he will sign for the min.after making 11 million for doing nothing for 2 years money should not be an issue for him. if he is making demands for anything more than that then I would stay away from him if I were in charge. and while nobody was forced to give him those contracts I am pretty sure the reds would not have agreed to it if they would have known he break down while playing catch.their reward for signing him was paying for his rehab and watching him fleece the angels who deserved what they got after being dumb enough to give 3 million to a guy who had not pitched in a year.

7. twpguy1964 - Jan 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Ryan..Remember last time you and your agent kept holding out for some extra cash when you were with the phillies? I’ll remind you, THEY MOVED ON AND LEFT YOU AND YOUR AGENT WHINING WHY. Pass on Madson unless he signs for the minimum and the rest is incentive laden. He’s basically stole a paycheck the last 2 years

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4799)
  2. M. Kemp (3423)
  3. J. Upton (2478)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2431)
  5. J. Kang (2425)