Jan 18, 2014, 6:38 PM EST
Ryan Madson hasn’t appeared in a major league game since 2011 due to right elbow issues, but he was one of the best relief pitchers in baseball before undergoing Tommy John surgery and should be able to find an incentives-driven contract this offseason.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported Friday that Madson is planning to throw off a mound for interested teams the first week of February. Rosenthal hears that the Phillies, Red Sox and Royals are among the clubs that will attend.
Madson, 33, posted a 2.45 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 126/29 K/BB ratio in 113 2/3 innings during his final two seasons (2010-2011) with Philadelphia. He signed a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Angels before the start of the 2013 campaign but lingering elbow complications kept him from pitching in a game for Anaheim.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 21
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 28
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)