Jan 18, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
It was reported Thursday that the Cubs were “pushing hard” to sign Masahiro Tanaka while a number of MLB owners gave the impression to ESPN’s Jayson Stark that they are “convinced” he’ll end up in Chicago. So, this report from Bruce Levine of 670TheScore.com probably shouldn’t come as a surprise at this point:
Wake up tweeters! Cubs made Tanaka a real offer to be there ace and grow with their other talented young players.—
Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) January 18, 2014
Multiple teams have surely made offers to Tanaka already, but this report adds credence to the notion that the Cubs are willing to hang with deep-pocketed teams like the Dodgers and Yankees in order to sign him. That’s important, especially with the financial questions surrounding the Cubs ownership.
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reported yesterday that clubs have yet to hear back from Tanaka since his visit to the United States last week. Per the posting system rules, he has until January 24 (next Friday) at 5 p.m. ET to reach an agreement with a team.
UPDATE: According to Levine, an MLB source believes that the Cubs are the “lead team” for Tanaka’s services.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 23
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 101
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (101)