Jan 18, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
It was reported Thursday that the Cubs were “pushing hard” to sign Masahiro Tanaka while a number of MLB owners gave the impression to ESPN’s Jayson Stark that they are “convinced” he’ll end up in Chicago. So, this report from Bruce Levine of 670TheScore.com probably shouldn’t come as a surprise at this point:
Wake up tweeters! Cubs made Tanaka a real offer to be there ace and grow with their other talented young players.—
Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) January 18, 2014
Multiple teams have surely made offers to Tanaka already, but this report adds credence to the notion that the Cubs are willing to hang with deep-pocketed teams like the Dodgers and Yankees in order to sign him. That’s important, especially with the financial questions surrounding the Cubs ownership.
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reported yesterday that clubs have yet to hear back from Tanaka since his visit to the United States last week. Per the posting system rules, he has until January 24 (next Friday) at 5 p.m. ET to reach an agreement with a team.
UPDATE: According to Levine, an MLB source believes that the Cubs are the “lead team” for Tanaka’s services.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)