Jan 18, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
It was reported Thursday that the Cubs were “pushing hard” to sign Masahiro Tanaka while a number of MLB owners gave the impression to ESPN’s Jayson Stark that they are “convinced” he’ll end up in Chicago. So, this report from Bruce Levine of 670TheScore.com probably shouldn’t come as a surprise at this point:
Wake up tweeters! Cubs made Tanaka a real offer to be there ace and grow with their other talented young players.—
Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) January 18, 2014
Multiple teams have surely made offers to Tanaka already, but this report adds credence to the notion that the Cubs are willing to hang with deep-pocketed teams like the Dodgers and Yankees in order to sign him. That’s important, especially with the financial questions surrounding the Cubs ownership.
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reported yesterday that clubs have yet to hear back from Tanaka since his visit to the United States last week. Per the posting system rules, he has until January 24 (next Friday) at 5 p.m. ET to reach an agreement with a team.
UPDATE: According to Levine, an MLB source believes that the Cubs are the “lead team” for Tanaka’s services.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)