Jan 18, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
It was reported Thursday that the Cubs were “pushing hard” to sign Masahiro Tanaka while a number of MLB owners gave the impression to ESPN’s Jayson Stark that they are “convinced” he’ll end up in Chicago. So, this report from Bruce Levine of 670TheScore.com probably shouldn’t come as a surprise at this point:
Multiple teams have surely made offers to Tanaka already, but this report adds credence to the notion that the Cubs are willing to hang with deep-pocketed teams like the Dodgers and Yankees in order to sign him. That’s important, especially with the financial questions surrounding the Cubs ownership.
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reported yesterday that clubs have yet to hear back from Tanaka since his visit to the United States last week. Per the posting system rules, he has until January 24 (next Friday) at 5 p.m. ET to reach an agreement with a team.
UPDATE: According to Levine, an MLB source believes that the Cubs are the “lead team” for Tanaka’s services.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (88)