Jan 19, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Matt Adams projects to open the 2014 baseball season as the Cardinals’ starting first baseman and is preparing for that role with an extensive offseason diet and workout program. Listed last year at 6-foot-3 and 260 pounds, he showed off a much more slender physique this weekend at the Cardinals’ annual Winter Warmup fan festival in downtown St. Louis.
The 25-year-old is, by all indications, in The Very Best Shape of His Life. MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch had a chat with Adams early Sunday morning …
Matt Adams spending his offseason losing body fat, adding muscle and hitting lefty sliders. #stlcards
— Jenifer Langosch (@LangoschMLB) January 19, 2014
And Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch provides the video evidence …
Adams batted .284/.335/.503 with 17 home runs and 51 RBI in 108 games last season for the NL champs.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20