Jan 19, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
After a flubbed signing with the Orioles, free agent reliever Grant Balfour has recently drawn some interest from the Nationals, Ken Rosenthal reports on FOX Sports. The Nationals have a trio of relievers who could close, but as Rosenthal explains, they would prefer Rafael Soriano‘s $14 million option for 2015 not to vest and for Tyler Clippard to remain in the set-up role. They would also like to trade Drew Storen.
In his second year of arbitration eligibility, Storen will earn $3.5 million in 2014 and can become a free agent after the 2016 season. Rather than explore signing the 26-year-old to an extension, the Nationals would prefer to trade him as he is coming off of his worst season in four years as a Major Leaguer. Storen posted a 4.52 ERA in 61 2/3 innings. However, he was noticeably better after returning from a demotion to Triple-A Syracuse from August 2-14. Between August 16, his first start back in the big leagues, and the end of the season, Storen posted a 1.40 ERA in 19 1/3 innings. According to a report, Storen added a quick leg kick and altered his arm slot.
As for Balfour, the Orioles claim they backed out of their two-year, $15 million deal with Balfour due to wrist and knee concerns, rather than his right shoulder. He is coming off of four consecutive seasons with at least 55 innings pitched and a sub-2.60 ERA.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)