Jan 19, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
After a flubbed signing with the Orioles, free agent reliever Grant Balfour has recently drawn some interest from the Nationals, Ken Rosenthal reports on FOX Sports. The Nationals have a trio of relievers who could close, but as Rosenthal explains, they would prefer Rafael Soriano‘s $14 million option for 2015 not to vest and for Tyler Clippard to remain in the set-up role. They would also like to trade Drew Storen.
In his second year of arbitration eligibility, Storen will earn $3.5 million in 2014 and can become a free agent after the 2016 season. Rather than explore signing the 26-year-old to an extension, the Nationals would prefer to trade him as he is coming off of his worst season in four years as a Major Leaguer. Storen posted a 4.52 ERA in 61 2/3 innings. However, he was noticeably better after returning from a demotion to Triple-A Syracuse from August 2-14. Between August 16, his first start back in the big leagues, and the end of the season, Storen posted a 1.40 ERA in 19 1/3 innings. According to a report, Storen added a quick leg kick and altered his arm slot.
As for Balfour, the Orioles claim they backed out of their two-year, $15 million deal with Balfour due to wrist and knee concerns, rather than his right shoulder. He is coming off of four consecutive seasons with at least 55 innings pitched and a sub-2.60 ERA.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (195)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)