Jan 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports is reporting that the Reds are in “advanced talks” with free agent outfielder Grady Sizmore. Rosenthal adds that other teams are involved, however, and that Sizemore might ultimately head in another direction. Reds GM Walt Jocketty said he hopes to “get something done next week,” according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
Sizemore hasn’t played in the Majors since 2011 as he has been dealing with knee and back injuries since 2010. In May 2010, he suffered a microfracture in his left knee which required surgery, ending his season. He returned in mid-April 2011 but missed a month and a half between mid-July and early September with a sports hernia which also required surgery. He returned on September 5 but had just five hits — all singles — in 38 plate appearances. In October, he had surgery on his right knee. On March 1, 2012, Sizemore underwent surgery again, this time to repair an injury in his lower back. He missed the entire season. In September, he had knee surgery on his right knee again.
Obviously, Sizemore has been the victim of some very poor luck over the last few years, interrupting what was once a promising and potentially Hall of Fame-worthy Major League career. From 2006-2008, Sizemore was an All-Star three times, a Gold Glove winner twice, and he won the Silver Slugger for center field in the American League in 2008.
Now 31 years old, Sizemore is attempting to resume his career with a welcoming team. He’ll have to settle for a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)