Jan 19, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The Cubs are 273-375 (.421) since the Ricketts family took over as team owners following the 2009 season. They’ve made very little tangible progress on badly-needed renovations to Wrigley Field and have shied away from giving out big free agent deals. But club president Theo Epstein assured fans Saturday at the annual Cubs Convention in Chicago that the Ricketts will be spenders when the time is right.
“Here’s the best thing about the Ricketts and their commitment to the Cubs,” Epstein said. “They know they’re going to own this club for generations and generations so they are willing to take the hit now and take some of the heat now because they know they are doing the right things to lay the foundation to get this right, to turn this into a franchise that they can be proud of for generations and generations. … I’m more proud of them for their willingness to take that heat and stick to their plan than I would be if they panicked the first time their name was dragged through the mud publicly and said, ‘We can’t do this, we need to put lipstick on this and find some quick fixes just to keep the fans and media at bay.’”
The youth-focused rebuilding strategy has netted the Cubs several of the game’s elite prospects — like Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler, C.J. Edwards, and Albert Almora — but not all highly-touted young players turn into MLB stars and 2014 is looking like another down year at the level where success matters most.
The Cardinals, Pirates, and Reds should continue to rule the National League Central this summer.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)