Jan 19, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The Cubs are 273-375 (.421) since the Ricketts family took over as team owners following the 2009 season. They’ve made very little tangible progress on badly-needed renovations to Wrigley Field and have shied away from giving out big free agent deals. But club president Theo Epstein assured fans Saturday at the annual Cubs Convention in Chicago that the Ricketts will be spenders when the time is right.
“Here’s the best thing about the Ricketts and their commitment to the Cubs,” Epstein said. “They know they’re going to own this club for generations and generations so they are willing to take the hit now and take some of the heat now because they know they are doing the right things to lay the foundation to get this right, to turn this into a franchise that they can be proud of for generations and generations. … I’m more proud of them for their willingness to take that heat and stick to their plan than I would be if they panicked the first time their name was dragged through the mud publicly and said, ‘We can’t do this, we need to put lipstick on this and find some quick fixes just to keep the fans and media at bay.’”
The youth-focused rebuilding strategy has netted the Cubs several of the game’s elite prospects — like Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler, C.J. Edwards, and Albert Almora — but not all highly-touted young players turn into MLB stars and 2014 is looking like another down year at the level where success matters most.
The Cardinals, Pirates, and Reds should continue to rule the National League Central this summer.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)