Jan 19, 2014, 1:51 PM EST
The Cubs are 273-375 (.421) since the Ricketts family took over as team owners following the 2009 season. They’ve made very little tangible progress on badly-needed renovations to Wrigley Field and have shied away from giving out big free agent deals. But club president Theo Epstein assured fans Saturday at the annual Cubs Convention in Chicago that the Ricketts will be spenders when the time is right.
“Here’s the best thing about the Ricketts and their commitment to the Cubs,” Epstein said. “They know they’re going to own this club for generations and generations so they are willing to take the hit now and take some of the heat now because they know they are doing the right things to lay the foundation to get this right, to turn this into a franchise that they can be proud of for generations and generations. … I’m more proud of them for their willingness to take that heat and stick to their plan than I would be if they panicked the first time their name was dragged through the mud publicly and said, ‘We can’t do this, we need to put lipstick on this and find some quick fixes just to keep the fans and media at bay.’”
The youth-focused rebuilding strategy has netted the Cubs several of the game’s elite prospects — like Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler, C.J. Edwards, and Albert Almora — but not all highly-touted young players turn into MLB stars and 2014 is looking like another down year at the level where success matters most.
The Cardinals, Pirates, and Reds should continue to rule the National League Central this summer.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)