Dodgers are in the “early stages” of extending Hanley Ramirez

Jan 20, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

Hanley Ramirez Getty Getty Images

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports says the Dodgers are in the “early stages” of contract negotiations with Hanley Ramirez, who hits free agency after the 2014 season.

Ramirez, 30, hit .345/.402/.638 batting line with 20 home runs, 10 stolen bases and 62 runs scored in 86 games last season for Los Angeles. When healthy, he’s insanely valuable. And, given how thin shortstop is around the game these days, he’s going to be pretty expensive too.  But this is the Dodgers we’re talking about here, so they can make it happen.

1. chapmanb2014 - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM

The Dodgers are taking the smart approach to their expiring contracts. They are identifying players they want to retain and resigning them before they hit free agency which is actually saving them money and eliminating the uncertainty that comes with the open market.

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:20 PM

“….eliminating the uncertainty that comes with the open market.”

Whatta ya think you are, one o’ them Obama socialists?

2. stex52 - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Seems like you not only have to keep him healthy but also in a good mood. But still should be worth the risk.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:26 PM

old gasser is in the later stages of Alzheimer’s

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I dunno – seems to me one of the telling symptoms is a tendency to repeat the same old crap over and over again, innit?

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM

hey look at the bright side of alzheimers, everyday you meet someone new

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I hate to break it to you, but that joke is old enough to have Alzheimer’s itself.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM

the sad part is I wasn’t joking

• stex52 - Jan 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Tell you what, Harry, my man. I know you have this game going with several of the guys where you exchange random insults. All fun, I’m sure, but I’m not really interested. If you want to talk baseball, it sounds fine. I would actually like that.

But if you want to play the insult games, go right ahead. They don’t particularly bother me because we really don’t know each other.

But I won’t be replying.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:55 PM

stick52 I don’t know you, don’t care to know you. I come here and add my 2 cents about baseball and a@@clowns like old gasser here get all bent out of shape and you do too, Ive seen it. so you see it works real easy, don’t reply to me and I wont say a word towards you. lets see if you can handle that, old gasser here cant

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:44 AM

If two cents is what you have to spend to convince everyone on this board that you’re an illiterate moron with the emotional constitution of a nine year old, you’re ripping yourself off. Try making a fool of yourself for free. You won’t be billed.

• nbjays - Jan 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM

“I come here and add my 2 cents about baseball…”

And where in this post did you add ANYTHING to the baseball discussion, hmm?

Thought so…

Trolls gotta troll, I guess…

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM

And you have to adjust that two cents for deflation as well. I wonder how much that is in bitcoin?

4. uyf1950 - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Hanley’s current contract comes to an AAV of $11.67MM per year for MLB luxury tax purposes. With a new deal that could easily double to a AAV in excess of $20MM per. If they work out a deal and announce it BEFORE the start of the 2014 season. The Dodgers Payroll for MLB AAV purposes after you include the balance of the 40 man roster and benefits MLB charges ALL teams their payroll will be in the neighborhood of: $270MM (without Tanaka). If they were to sign Tanaka their payroll would approach $290MM plus. The tax calculation on the difference between the threshold of $189MM and their payroll at 30% would be about $$30MM. That would mean the Dodgers would be paying about $320MM to field a team for the 2014 season.

I realize they can afford it but that’s a huge chunk of change for 1 season even for a team that can afford it.

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM

That’s the budget of a third world country, like, oh, East L.A.

5. khmerson562 - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I wish the the dodgers organization would run the lakers organization also.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM

The Nets are showing that you can’t buy talent in the NBA.

• bubbalynch - Jan 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM

That talent in which you speak of (nets) was acquired in the early stages of retirement! Don’t get it confused with players in their prime!

• erbaodai - Jan 20, 2014 at 9:08 PM

The Heat are showing that you can buy talent in the NBA as long as they’re in their prime.

6. blabidibla - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Hope this is true. Sign him to a nice long extension. I think he’s got at least another 300 games left in him over the next 5 years.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3553)