Jan 20, 2014, 10:44 AM EST
Crazy pic of CC Sabathia at a wedding over the weekend:
But, before you go acting all shocked, go read Ken Rosenthal’s column, in which Sabathia tells him he really hasn’t lost a ton of weight. Rather, he’s just toning up and stuff. It’s possible our reaction to this pic may be a function of seeing Sabathia in pants that fit as opposed to his physical fitness. Dude wears gigantic uniform pants.
Either way, I’ve always remained interested in Sabathia’s fitness level. Or at least the discussion about it. A lot of people remain convinced that a little extra weight on Sabathia, especially since so much of it appears to be in his legs, is actually good for his pitching because it provides a strong base and all of that. This past season he seemed to be carrying around less bulk than usual and some have attributed his lack of effectiveness in 2013 to that.
I’m not sure any strong or informed conclusions can be drawn from any of this. And even if his weight is a factor, I feel like, as is the case with every other pitcher, arm health and fatigue and all of that factor in. Sabathia has a lot of miles on the odometer at this point. He’s not a machine.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)