CC Sabathia may or may not be in the Best Shape of His Life

Jan 20, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Crazy pic of CC Sabathia at a wedding over the weekend:

But, before you go acting all shocked, go read Ken Rosenthal’s column, in which Sabathia tells him he really hasn’t lost a ton of weight. Rather, he’s just toning up and stuff. It’s possible our reaction to this pic may be a function of seeing Sabathia in pants that fit as opposed to his physical fitness. Dude wears gigantic uniform pants.

Either way, I’ve always remained interested in Sabathia’s fitness level. Or at least the discussion about it. A lot of people remain convinced that a little extra weight on Sabathia, especially since so much of it appears to be in his legs, is actually good for his pitching because it provides a strong base and all of that. This past season he seemed to be carrying around less bulk than usual and some have attributed his lack of effectiveness in 2013 to that.

I’m not sure any strong or informed conclusions can be drawn from any of this. And even if his weight is a factor, I feel like, as is the case with every other pitcher, arm health and fatigue and all of that factor in.  Sabathia has a lot of miles on the odometer at this point. He’s not a machine.

1. bfunk1978 - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM

If he’s not a machine, why does he have an odometer?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Touche

• fanofevilempire - Jan 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Pujols was once the machine, but he broke down.

• paperlions - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Doesn’t matter what you do to the odometer, the miles and their effects are still there.

• bfunk1978 - Jan 20, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Albert Pujols will be that man. Better than he was before. Better…stronger…faster.

• moogro - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

He meant odormeter.

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Anxiously awaiting the New York Daily News fat joke headline…

• sdelmonte - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Only once the Chris Christie fat jokes are down, which might take a long while.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Christie will take the fat jokes if he could escape Bridge fiasco, his admin. is crumbling.

• dylanthom2013 - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Christie should hide between his own breasts.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM

he doesn’t look fat, wtf are you talking about?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I was referencing the Bartolo Colon headlines.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:02 PM

• fanofevilempire - Jan 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM

scouts,I wasn’t talking @ you, just in general, he looks kind of slim, he does usually
        wear a huge pair of uniform pants.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 20, 2014 at 1:17 PM

ah, ok. You replied to me asking what I was talking about, so I was just pointing out the headline article which was the point of my joke in the first place. I agree he doesn’t look fat at all. In fact doesn’t even look like him at all. It’s weird when you see ball players out of uniform.

3. buffalochris - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Interesting, look at AJ’s numbers vs CC’s last year YIKES.

AJ: http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=150359#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=2&season=2014&level='ALL

CC: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=282332#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=2&season=2014&level='ALL

4. okobojicat - Jan 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Sounds like its time to start building up the BSOHL roster:

C – Buster Posey*
    1B – Matt Adams
    2B –
    SS – Starlin Castro*
    3B –
    RF – Jeff Francoeur’s eyes (aren’t they dreamy)
    CF –
    LF –
    DH –
    SP1 – Kevin Gausman
    SP2 – Matt Harrison
    LOOGY – Scott Downs

*Indicates that they are planning on being in the best shape of their life
    Still waiting final confirmation of BSOHL:
    Pablo Sandoval
    CC Sabathia

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM

The Kevin Gausman is my favorite. Kid is like 23 years old. It should be near impossible for him NOT to be in the best shape of his life.

• historiophiliac - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Also, that’s kinda young to hang a “of his life” on it. It’s like when my nephew was 23 and declared his girlfriend the love of his life. Cute but kinda funny — and lacks the same depth as if you were saying that at 50 or 60. It’s like when Mike Trout calls Torii Hunter “son.” lol

• spudchukar - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Sorry Historio, not buying the “depth deepens with age” thing. The greatest love story of all time was between a 14 and 15 year old.

• sportsdrenched - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM

“of his life” is a qualifier. You can be in the “best” shape of your life regardless of how old you are.

The phrase is not: “best shape they’ll ever be in.”

• historiophiliac - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM

spud, you’ve been watching too much Lifetime televisions. My brother does it too. smh

Clearly, you and I will have to agree to disagree on what makes a great love story.

• historiophiliac - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I understand that, sports. I’m just saying it’s less impressive as a judgment when you’re a punk.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 20, 2014 at 1:22 PM

The “of his life” leads one to believe it’s meant to be the best shape a person has ever or will ever be in. Hence Histo and my take on it being meaningless when so young. Otherwise it should be quantified as “up to this point in his life”

• spudchukar - Jan 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Historio, Are you dissin’ on ol’ Willie?

• historiophiliac - Jan 20, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Yeah, not a big fan. That’s for rich kids. :)

5. The Dangerous Mabry - Jan 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Cheeburger Cheeburger’s looking sharp! Though a tux makes anyone look good, especially a tall fellow like him. It certainly beats his enormously oversized uniform.

6. uyf1950 - Jan 20, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Personally I don’t care how much weight he lost if any, all I want is for CC to pitch like it was his walk year. I want him to line them up and mow down the batters like he use to do prior to 2013 and finish in the top 5 in Cy Young voting for 2014. If he weights 280 or 180 I could care less.

• cackalackyank - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Precisely. There was so much concern about CC’s knees. SO he lost weight. I think he may very well have lost muscle though. If he loses the wrong weight it could actually have reduced his effectiveness. I certainly hope this was a case of toning his muscles and was done with advice of trainer. Weight loss on it is own is not always the answer. I am with you…give me a fat effective CC anytime over the more svelte, number five starter we saw last year.

7. gloccamorra - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Aw, everybody looks good in a tux, even if you gotta cinch the cummerbun too tight.

8. redsoxchamp11 - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Further proof that all the money in the world doesn’t fix ugly.

• historiophiliac - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

And so we worry for your soul.

• rje49 - Jan 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM

It doesn’t cost that much money for Photoshop. When I look at that picture, “Photoshop” is the first word I thought of.

9. kruegere - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:53 PM

He looks so much taller now that he’s thinner.

• cackalackyank - Jan 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Carlton Charles was always a big dude. But I guess less width does equal more height.

• jwbiii - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Carsten.

• cackalackyank - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Thanks. Sorry, I had him confused with Rhoda’s doorman.

10. historiophiliac - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

As an aside, do we all really have to have our hands on our ladies’ hips like that? It doesn’t make for the best pose. See: why politicians don’t hold microphones up in their laps during debates.

11. esracerx46 - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:26 PM

He looks like a cancer patient. I don’t know if its the angle, but his face looks really gaunt.

12. dylanthom2013 - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM

The velocity of Asscheeks of Rage’s fastball really declined each of the last couple of years (in fact, that’s the case with every pitch he throws). Not surprisingly his HR/FB percentages in ’12 and ’13 were by the far the worst of his career. Hard to see that continuing this year given his reputation for working hard and if he’s indeed BSOHL.

13. weaselpuppy - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

That is some beauty and the beast action there. I mean, he’s not Willie McGee…but no amount of gheri curls and soul glo is gonna make him look anything like Billy Dee….jussayin

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3656)