Jan 20, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter had his first on-field workout today since his injury-plagued 2013 season. After hitting off a tee in a batting cage and fielding 108 grounders at the Yankees minor league complex in Tampa, Florida, he told reporters that his left ankle is no longer an issue.
Jeter, who turns 40 in June, was limited to 17 games last year after breaking an ankle during the 2012 playoffs.
“I don’t think about it, and that’s a good thing,” Jeter said.
Jeter broke his left ankle Oct. 13, 2012 during the AL championship series opener against Detroit. He was limited to five games and 11 at-bats during spring training last year, stayed behind in Florida when the team broke camp for rehabilitation and broke the ankle again in April during rehabilitation.
“It’s good to have a normal offseason and get some work in,” Jeter said. “Everything is normal now.”
It’s a promising early report, but Jeter remains a major question mark going into his age-40 season. Re-signed to a one-year, $12 million deal over the winter, it’s very possible that 2014 could be the final season of his career. Even if Jeter is able to stay healthy, the Yankees figure to give him plenty of time out of the DH spot to stay fresh. The glove-first Brendan Ryan was brought back this winter as insurance policy at shortstop.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 2
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 69
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)