Tom Glavine: Skinny, sweating and scared

Jan 20, 2014, 7:42 AM EDT

glavine1

As D.J. mentioned on Saturday night, Michael Clair’s annual charity blogathon to benefit Doctors Without Borders is going on over at Old Time Family Baseball. Michael’s 24 straight hours of blogging concluded yesterday morning and since then an all-star lineup of guest bloggers has taken over with contributed posts. One of them was me.

My post is about the moment when, for me anyway, Hall of Famers transformed from immortals who always stood as titans to humans who began humbly and grew into greatness, with the idea being inspired by my memories of Tom Glavine’s major league debut and coming away from it less-than-impressed.

I hope you like the post. And I hope you consider donating to the blogathon.

1. stex52 - Jan 20, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Great charity, Craig. I’m a supporter.

2. kane337 - Jan 20, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Excellent blog. Thanks

3. jeffbbf - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Posts like this are what keep me coming back after having to endure the ARod posts.

4. jm91rs - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Either you have a freakish memory or you made most of that story up.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 20, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I remember the game and where I was watching it pretty vividly. What Glavine looked like, etc. The specific score at various points I got by looking back at the old box score. The bit about Maddux at the end I didn’t think of consciously at the time, but a year or two after that happened, when Maddux turned into a good pitcher in Chicago, Braves broadcasts would frequently remind viewers about the first time they showed Maddux, and it was that game. And when he joined the Braves, there was a lot of “we met Glavine the day before we met Maddux and now they’re both Cy Young winners” kind of thing, so it was a later-acquired recollection of something that, at the time, I did not think was significant.

5. jwbiii - Jan 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Greg Maddux’s debut was a wild and crazy game. Danny Darwin, FTW! (Danny Darwin? Really?)

6. pbastille - Jan 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM

You have a great memory Craig. I’ve already forgotten the scores of last night’s NFL games…

7. dirtyharry1971 - Jan 20, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Skinny, sweating and scared? sounds like the bluejay 2014 roster to me!

8. Brian Smith - Jan 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Reblogged this on Athens Talking Head (ATH).

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5168)