Jan 21, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Ronald Blum of the Associated Press has the news:
NEW YORK (AP) — Entering a big league ballpark will be a bit like going through an airport by 2015.
Major League Baseball has told its 30 teams they must implement security screening for fans by then, either with hand-held metal detection or walk-through magnetometers.
“This procedure, which results from MLB’s continuing work with the Department of Homeland Security to standardize security practices across the game, will be in addition to bag checks that are now uniform throughout MLB,” baseball spokesman Michael Teevan told the Associated Press on Tuesday. “We conducted testing of these measures at the All-Star game and at both World Series venues last year and were pleased that it was effective and received without issue from fans.”
The Seattle Mariners are going to implement the new screening system this season at Safeco Field.
There haven’t been many instances of weapon violence at baseball stadiums and it’s a shame that such extensive security measures have been deemed necessary, but it’s also understandable that Major League Baseball wants to avoid potential catastrophes. MLB stadiums hold between 35,000 and 56,000 fans.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)