Matt Holliday is anti-PED, but he is cool with Jhonny Peralta

Jan 21, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT

matt holliday getty Getty Images

Matt Holliday has been one of the more outspoken anti-PED players in baseball. He has called for tougher penalties and has been harsh when asked to talk about the PED cheats.  But he does have a capacity for forgiveness too. At least with respect to a new teammate:

When it comes to Jhonny Peralta, his new St. Louis Cardinals teammate, he is willing to forgive and forget . . . ”I am against PEDs and always will be,” Holliday said Monday at the Cardinals’ winter fan festival. ”But I also am a forgiving person and he served his suspension. That’s the rules of the game. I’m happy to have him as a teammate . . . ‘He took the suspension, served it . . .”

Totally reasonable tack to take.  And not at all inconsistent with his calls for tougher penalties and the eradication of PEDs in the game.

I wonder why it is that baseball players can be 100% anti-PED yet do not feel the need to demonize players who cheat or otherwise treat them like pariahs but a large swath of the media and fans cannot.

1. blues1988 - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

yeah Craig because nothing says “good start to the season” like calling out you’re new teammate. what else do u you expect him to say?

• clydeserra - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM

i don’t expect anything.

How is it not hypocritical of Holliday to say “DEMON PED USERS,” then “eh, no big deal” when he is confronted with one?

The lesson is don’t demonize them. let teh process played out. Its ok to say “PED bad, should be suspended.” But if you say more, be prepared to be mocked when you are confronted with situations like this

• forsch31 - Jan 21, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Back when the Cardinals signed Peralta, GM John Mozeliak said before they made the deal, he called Holliday to let him know (since he’s considered one of the locker room leaders and is outspoken about PEDs), and Matt’s response is pretty much the same one as now.

• mick2014 - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Pinche Craig! Trying to stir up chet.

2. El Bravo - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM

J-Honny can’t spell his own name correctly. ‘Nuff said.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Don’t be jealous, Ehl Bravo.

• spudchukar - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM

As if the “h” in Johnny makes any more sense.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM

It’s just cheating at scrabble [language maybe NSFW]

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Quiet in the Pinto gallery.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Brrrrrrrp

• proudlycanadian - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Pinto’s were unsafe at any speed.

3. jm91rs - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM

It helps that Holliday likely expects Peralta to be a good player and help his team back to the playoffs. I think if A-Rod were still crushing the ball the Yankees would stand behind him. It’s all about what have you done for me lately?

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM

ARod could have also helped himself by admitting to his actions, apologizing some fashion, and accepting his punishment (assuming he is guilty). People don’t like cheaters, but they really really don’t like cheaters that are also unaccountable liars.

For all of our faults as humans, we do, in general, have a large capacity for forgiveness….but people have to give you the chance to be forgiving. ARod isn’t giving anyone a chance to be nice to him, even if they had wanted to.

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM

• proudlycanadian - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM

A double post! How did you pull that off?

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Not my fault or doing. Word Press snafu…..hard to believe, I know.

• gibbyfan - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I agree wholeheartedly Paper………..Too bad Pete Rose never got thaat bit of common sense wisdom.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Yankee fans hated Arod even when he was winning multiple MVPs for the team. Apparently it was Arod’s horrible pitching in the postseason that kept them from getting bounced in the first round repeatedly.

4. nymets4ever - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Friggin steroid hypocrites. You’re either completely OK with them or, like me, completely against them. Matt Holliday conveniently downplaying his anti-steroid views now that Jhonny Peralta is on his team doesn’t make him some kind of enlightened visionary, it just makes him wishy-washy. It’s called taking a stand, try it sometime.

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Your black an white world must be fascinating to live in. I am completely against automatic transmissions, beets and turnips, people that write “manifest itself”, and people that can’t grasp the concepts of straw man and begging the question. Nonetheless, I maintain friendships with people that drive such vehicles, each such foods, and commit such misuses of language….because some things are just not that big of a deal.

Using banned substances carries a penalty, and compared to any evidence that they actually have an effect on baseball performance (continued efforts can not isolate an effect on baseball production), the penalties are already rather stiff. In the general scheme of things, using banned substances is just not that big of a deal, no matter how much certain portion of the media continue to blather on about it.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Friends don’t let friends drive automatics.

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Some of them are bigger than me.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

And you call yourself a lions.

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

PAPERlions

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM

See…..I am working too much, otherwise, I would have stuck something in there about bread pudding…..and, um…how it is awesome, or something.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I’m not sharing.

• skids003 - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM

“straw man.” Isn’t that the guy from the Wizard of Oz?

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM

He’s a hybrid, no heart or brain.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Dude…your unbelievable! What the hell is wrong with turnips?
        People who rag on turnips have never properly prepared them.
        Me? I can eat them raw. Peeled (or not) with salt.

But you need to peel them…boil them (AND ADD A BIT OF SUGAR). The sugar removes a bit of it’s tartness. Then…when soft smother them with butter while still hot and add salt and pepper.
        Try that (and THEN) tell me you are against turnips. I dare you.

• paperlions - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Sorry man, they just taste bad to me. A woman down the street gave me some “heirloom” turnips that were red and while striped in cross-section. According to a chef friend of mine, who I gave the first batch to, they were fantastic and mildly flavored turnips. I kept the next batch and used his recipe…still didn’t like them. Everyone doesn’t like every flavor, apparently, I don’t like turnip flavor.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM

There is something seriously wrong with you. 8)

• paperlions - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Well, yeah, but that isn’t related to turnips.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Hahaha! I am gonna have to bring full disclosure…most people (I know) don’t like turnips.
        But I refuse to accept it. Lol!

• paperlions - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I also don’t like beets….well, really I hate beets. I like pretty much every other kind of vegetable, or fruit, or meat, or cheese, or grain….but just don’t care at all for turnips or beets.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I can’t stand beets either. Way too…I don’t know. Bitter?

• stex52 - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

He did the crime; he did the time. I assume he will be on a heightened testing schedule now. If he stays clean, then he should be allowed to play. If you want stricter penalties, that is fine. But for now he served his sentence and he gets to play.

• mikhelb - Jan 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

“Guys are playing in baseball, football and basketball with a lot greater crimes than that on their records.”

**Juan Uribe doesn’t like your comment**.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM

So you missed this part huh?

”I am against PEDs and always will be,” ”But I also am a forgiving person and he served his suspension. That’s the rules of the game. I’m happy to have him as a teammate . . . ’He took the suspension, served it . . .”

5. Carl Hancock - Jan 21, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I don’t think Craig is bashing Holliday. The headline is link bait but the content basically asks why another player who is against PED’s can forgive a player who was caught using them after the player served their suspension without a fight and handled it well but the fans and media cannot. He’s not bashing Holliday. He’s bashing the fans and media who demonize PED users even after they’ve served their suspensions and paid the price. But I don’t think most fans or the media does demonize those players. The players they have demonized are the ones that fight it and either get away with it (Braun, ARod) or the players that never technically got caught (Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, etc.).

6. metalhead65 - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM

typical cardinal. I guarantee you if he was not his teammate now his attitude would not be one of forgiveness. as for fans attitudes it has been long enough and penalties have been in place for years and if you still cheat then there is no I made a mistake excuse. there is no mistake! people like peralta &braun all know what they are taking they just got caught and then want to plead for forgiveness. after going through and putting up all the drug mistakes of the 90’s we want some accountability from players and not the I made a mistake b.s

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Oh, you appear to be wearing a helmet. Quick question: Did I hear right about one of the Super Bowl teams having more suspensions for PEDs this season than any team in MLB history?

7. dwishinsky - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I think this is one of those things that it is easy to do in a vacuum. Think of how many people who never knew a gay person quite easily bashing them, or someone not knowing someone from a certain country or religious group. When you work with someone like that, anything that may have seemed scary or foreign suddenly isn’t. The same way it is easy to say these people are cheats, however when you get to know someone its harder to paint with such a broad stroke. It’d be better if we could all be more tolerant of each other and our differences and/or flaws, but to me this doesn’t represent Holliday turning his back on his convictions.

• pastabelly - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM

WTF, PED cheats aren’t an oppressed minority.

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Not exactly the same, but yeah, similar concept….when you put a face or a known persona on something that was only a label it is harder for people to blindly hate it. It is much harder for most people to be homophobic or racist when they have friends/relatives that are members of groups they used to paint with a broad brush….while far more important than PED users in baseball, it is certainly true that most players will tweak their attitudes when a good friend is busted…from something far more black and white to something that has shades of gray. Often, people just need a reason to re-consider their previously held view….reconsidering a view that is black and white is generally not a bad thing for people to do….I say generally, because if you think child molesters are monsters, you shouldn’t re-consider just because a close relative is busted for being one…there are always exceptions.

I am sure, to some degree, that such a reconsideration process is also in operation here.

8. pastabelly - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Translation: Get lost Kozma. You are the weakest link.

That’s all this is about. The Cardinals came pretty close to winning it all and Peralta is an upgrade on Kozma. Nobody should expect any player not to walk the company line on this one. Livestrong Matt.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Kozma!

9. plmathfoto - Jan 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Would’ve loved to see his quotes had the Tigers made the series against them. How much would you like to bet you wouldn’t be reading this article right now?

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS