Matt Kemp unlikely to be ready for Opening Day

Jan 21, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Death, taxes, Matt Kemp suffering from ailments:

On the one hand, sure, an early start for the Dodgers due to the Australia trip and thus a short camp. On the other hand: when was the last time a veteran suffering from nagging ailments was actually ready to go when they say, well beforehand, they’d probably be ready to go? In light of history alone I’d be worried about that April 1 date.

Kemp underwent shoulder and ankle surgeries in October and is currently running and swinging at about 60 percent and “getting close” to feeling like himself. But as Gandhi famously said: Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

1. lanflfan - Jan 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM

This is hardly shocking, and why none of the four “starting” OF’s were traded over the winter. I imagine by the end of the regular season all of them will have had one injury or another, I just hope none are serious.

2. kingscourt25 - Jan 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM

For what it’s worth, Dave Stewart also said Matt Kemp was going to be traded

3. jya87 - Jan 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM

All because he was dogging it from 3rd to home on an infield single.

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jan 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM

It’s probably A-Rod’s fault. Or GTA. Or violence on television. Or Rap. Yea, those things.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM

God’s wrath for dating Rihanna.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 21, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Why couldn’t He have taken Rihanna instead?

5. fearthehoody - Jan 21, 2014 at 8:27 PM

In SoCal he’s known as Charmin because he’s o so soft!

6. 6stn - Jan 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM

He got hurt during his last few years with the Buffalo Bills. By 1996, he was more brittle than the other guy on the GOP ticket: Bob Dole.

7. stex52 - Jan 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM

At least I know better than to draft him for my fantasy team this year.

• historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Awwww :(

• stex52 - Jan 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM

It was a nightmare, philiac. He’d get a bruise and be out. I’d cut him. He’d heal and have a couple of good games. I’d pick him back up because the other outfielder pickings were slim. He’d go into a slump and then get hurt and I would cut him again. Played that about three times.

He is by all accounts a nice guy. But, judging on my experience, he must be a GM’s worst nightmare.

• historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM

It makes me sad because he could be a really great player. And, you know I’m a homer for the Oklahoma guys. I don’t blame you though. Awww.

8. chargrz - Jan 22, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Time to cut bait with this clown! He must be related to Percy Harvin.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I feel sorry for the people you’re related to.

• gloccamorra - Jan 24, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Cut bait? Have you seen his contract? That’s a LOT of bait.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3481)