Jan 21, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s on. It’s on like Donkey Kong:
Bobby abreu is headed back the phillies after agreeing to deal
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) January 21, 2014
Who says you can’t go home again?
2:28 PM: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports on a possible reunion of old friends:
The Phillies, still looking for a left-handed bat to come off the bench, are “sniffing around” on Bobby Abreu, multiple baseball sources tell CSNPhilly.com.
Abreu has not played in the bigs since 2012 — and he stunk then — but he’s been putting up big numbers this offseason in the Venezuelan Winter League, hitting .322 with three homers, 28 RBIs and a .877 OPS in 50 games. He’s probably worth a look in camp, especially considering all it will take is a minor league invite to get him to Clearwater.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)