Jan 21, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: It’s on. It’s on like Donkey Kong:
Bobby abreu is headed back the phillies after agreeing to deal
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) January 21, 2014
Who says you can’t go home again?
2:28 PM: Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports on a possible reunion of old friends:
The Phillies, still looking for a left-handed bat to come off the bench, are “sniffing around” on Bobby Abreu, multiple baseball sources tell CSNPhilly.com.
Abreu has not played in the bigs since 2012 — and he stunk then — but he’s been putting up big numbers this offseason in the Venezuelan Winter League, hitting .322 with three homers, 28 RBIs and a .877 OPS in 50 games. He’s probably worth a look in camp, especially considering all it will take is a minor league invite to get him to Clearwater.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)