Jan 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Last week Carlos Santana told Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes that he’s been preparing to play third base regularly this season and expects that to be his primary position following a move from catcher.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer talked to Indians general manager Chris Antonetti, who was slightly less definitive about the situation:
We have not made a decision at third base. That’s what spring training is for. But Carlos has gotten a tremendous head start due to the work he’s put in this offseason. It started with him working at our complex in the Dominican Republic with our coaches. And it transitioned into winter ball.
I think Carlos has approached it that he wants to work as hard as he can to be the best third baseman he can be. … We feel good about our options there. We continue to believe in Lonnie Chisenhall and his potential. And Carlos can only enhance his impact on the team and our goal of becoming a better ball club.
In addition to Lonnie Chisenhall the Indians also have Mike Aviles as an option at third base, so Hoynes speculates that Santana will have to impress during spring training to win the starting job and the position could end up with a time-sharing arrangement of some sort. Meanwhile, the idea that Yan Gomes is now the Indians’ starting catcher seems to be widely accepted by everyone.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)