Jan 22, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
O’Flaherty underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in July and likely won’t be game-ready before midseason, so it’s definitely a risky move. However, before blowing out his elbow he was an excellent setup man for the Braves, posting a 1.99 ERA in 249 innings from 2009-2013.
Oakland’s bullpen already included new closer Jim Johnson, plus Ryan Cook, Luke Gregerson, and Sean Doolittle. It has the potential to be a helluva relief corps, but the A’s have invested a lot of money and resources into the late innings.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)