Jan 22, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
O’Flaherty underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in July and likely won’t be game-ready before midseason, so it’s definitely a risky move. However, before blowing out his elbow he was an excellent setup man for the Braves, posting a 1.99 ERA in 249 innings from 2009-2013.
Oakland’s bullpen already included new closer Jim Johnson, plus Ryan Cook, Luke Gregerson, and Sean Doolittle. It has the potential to be a helluva relief corps, but the A’s have invested a lot of money and resources into the late innings.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)