Jan 22, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
O’Flaherty underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in July and likely won’t be game-ready before midseason, so it’s definitely a risky move. However, before blowing out his elbow he was an excellent setup man for the Braves, posting a 1.99 ERA in 249 innings from 2009-2013.
Oakland’s bullpen already included new closer Jim Johnson, plus Ryan Cook, Luke Gregerson, and Sean Doolittle. It has the potential to be a helluva relief corps, but the A’s have invested a lot of money and resources into the late innings.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 16
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)