Jan 22, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Gonna be a whole lot of “Team X made a big offer to Masahiro Tanaka” stories coming out in the next few days now that he’s signed with the Yankees, but here’s an interesting one from Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Wednesday the club made an offer for Japanese ace Masahiro Tanaka, who reached an agreement with the Yankees on Wednesday for seven years and $155 million. … Luhnow wouldn’t say how much the Astros offered Tanaka, but a source told MLB.com it was more than $100 million.
I guess technically when someone signs for $155 million a $100 million offer wasn’t particularly competitive, but the Astros offering anyone $100 million seems noteworthy.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)