Jan 22, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Gonna be a whole lot of “Team X made a big offer to Masahiro Tanaka” stories coming out in the next few days now that he’s signed with the Yankees, but here’s an interesting one from Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Wednesday the club made an offer for Japanese ace Masahiro Tanaka, who reached an agreement with the Yankees on Wednesday for seven years and $155 million. … Luhnow wouldn’t say how much the Astros offered Tanaka, but a source told MLB.com it was more than $100 million.
I guess technically when someone signs for $155 million a $100 million offer wasn’t particularly competitive, but the Astros offering anyone $100 million seems noteworthy.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)