Jan 22, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
Gonna be a whole lot of “Team X made a big offer to Masahiro Tanaka” stories coming out in the next few days now that he’s signed with the Yankees, but here’s an interesting one from Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Wednesday the club made an offer for Japanese ace Masahiro Tanaka, who reached an agreement with the Yankees on Wednesday for seven years and $155 million. … Luhnow wouldn’t say how much the Astros offered Tanaka, but a source told MLB.com it was more than $100 million.
I guess technically when someone signs for $155 million a $100 million offer wasn’t particularly competitive, but the Astros offering anyone $100 million seems noteworthy.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)