Jan 22, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Gonna be a whole lot of “Team X made a big offer to Masahiro Tanaka” stories coming out in the next few days now that he’s signed with the Yankees, but here’s an interesting one from Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Wednesday the club made an offer for Japanese ace Masahiro Tanaka, who reached an agreement with the Yankees on Wednesday for seven years and $155 million. … Luhnow wouldn’t say how much the Astros offered Tanaka, but a source told MLB.com it was more than $100 million.
I guess technically when someone signs for $155 million a $100 million offer wasn’t particularly competitive, but the Astros offering anyone $100 million seems noteworthy.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (165)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (132)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)