Jan 22, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
There was a lot of talk about the Reds’ courtship of Grady Sizemore (note to our younger readers: he used to play major league baseball), but now that’s over. Straight from the GM’s mouth:
Walt Jocketty was just asked about signing Grady Sizemore: “Not gonna happen… Things have changed.”
— RedlegsRadioReport (@RedlegsRadioRep) January 22, 2014
Given Sizemore’s long absence from both the game and from good health, one has to assume it wasn’t a financial demand that was the deal breaker. One possibility, and this is just speculation: another team is offering him an actual major league deal or a minor league deal with an invite to major league camp when the Reds are unwilling to. Another speculative point, but one which I hope is not the case: his health is still a question mark.
Whatever the reasons, if Sizemore is going to continue his big league career, it will be outside of the state of Ohio.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (119)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)