Jan 22, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
The Orioles found themselves in a bit of controversy last month when they backed out of a two-year, $15 million deal with free agent reliever Grant Balfour. Balfour had a four-year-long streak with at least 55 innings pitched and a sub-2.60 ERA, but the O’s claimed they were concerned over his wrist and knee (which required surgery last February) — not his surgically-repaired right shoulder.
More, from Crasnick:
One source says Colvin has been hitting, throwing & working out 5 days a week in Arizona and hasn’t had any problems. #orioles
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 22, 2014
The Yankees may have spent nearly half a billion dollars on free agents, but the Orioles take the cake for having the most interesting off-season thus far.
Colvin has battled injuries over the last two years. He suffered a collapsed lung in 2012 and was hampered by back problems late last season. It is believable that the Orioles would see something awry in his physical, but they’re almost to the point where they’re the boy crying wolf. The O’s will likely offer clarification on the situation in the coming days.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 8
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 3
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)