Jan 22, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
The Orioles found themselves in a bit of controversy last month when they backed out of a two-year, $15 million deal with free agent reliever Grant Balfour. Balfour had a four-year-long streak with at least 55 innings pitched and a sub-2.60 ERA, but the O’s claimed they were concerned over his wrist and knee (which required surgery last February) — not his surgically-repaired right shoulder.
More, from Crasnick:
One source says Colvin has been hitting, throwing & working out 5 days a week in Arizona and hasn’t had any problems. #orioles
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 22, 2014
The Yankees may have spent nearly half a billion dollars on free agents, but the Orioles take the cake for having the most interesting off-season thus far.
Colvin has battled injuries over the last two years. He suffered a collapsed lung in 2012 and was hampered by back problems late last season. It is believable that the Orioles would see something awry in his physical, but they’re almost to the point where they’re the boy crying wolf. The O’s will likely offer clarification on the situation in the coming days.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 41
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 72
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 26
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 132
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 32
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 110
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 89
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (111)