Jan 22, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
WEEI’s Rob Bradford is reporting that the Red Sox are in agreement with outfielder Grady Sizemore on a one-year Major League deal worth $750,000. He can earn an additional $5.25 million with incentives. We learned earlier that Sizemore was moving on from the Reds, who had been heavily pursuing him.
Sizemore, 31, hasn’t played in the Majors since 2011 and hasn’t played a full season since 2008 due to an array of injuries and surgeries. A timeline:
- June 4, 2010: Left knee surgery
- July 21, 2011: Sports hernia surgery
- October 3, 2011: Right knee surgery
- March 1, 2012: Lower back surgery
- September 15, 2012: Right knee surgery
It’s a good deal for both sides. Sizemore gets a chance to breathe life into his career, and the Red Sox add outfield depth on the cheap. Sizemore still has the potential to be a very productive player, which isn’t the case for the few remaining outfielders on the free agent market.
It is surprising that the Red Sox gave Sizemore a Major League deal considering his injury history. That said, even if Sizemore is unable to stay healthy or can’t perform, it would only be a loss of $750,000 — a drop in the bucket for the Red Sox.
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Sox have designated Brayan Villareal for assignment to make room for Sizemore on the roster.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)