Jan 22, 2014, 6:42 PM EST
WEEI’s Rob Bradford is reporting that the Red Sox are in agreement with outfielder Grady Sizemore on a one-year Major League deal worth $750,000. He can earn an additional $5.25 million with incentives. We learned earlier that Sizemore was moving on from the Reds, who had been heavily pursuing him.
Sizemore, 31, hasn’t played in the Majors since 2011 and hasn’t played a full season since 2008 due to an array of injuries and surgeries. A timeline:
- June 4, 2010: Left knee surgery
- July 21, 2011: Sports hernia surgery
- October 3, 2011: Right knee surgery
- March 1, 2012: Lower back surgery
- September 15, 2012: Right knee surgery
It’s a good deal for both sides. Sizemore gets a chance to breathe life into his career, and the Red Sox add outfield depth on the cheap. Sizemore still has the potential to be a very productive player, which isn’t the case for the few remaining outfielders on the free agent market.
It is surprising that the Red Sox gave Sizemore a Major League deal considering his injury history. That said, even if Sizemore is unable to stay healthy or can’t perform, it would only be a loss of $750,000 — a drop in the bucket for the Red Sox.
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Sox have designated Brayan Villareal for assignment to make room for Sizemore on the roster.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 38
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)