Jan 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rays and Padres have agreed to a trade. The Rays will send reliever Alex Torres to the Padres and receive utilityman Logan Forsythe in return. Cotillo adds that each team will receive at least one additional prospect, though they have yet to be named. The deal is agreed upon but not yet final.
Torres, 26, had a fantastic 2013 season with the Rays, finishing with a 1.71 ERA in 58 innings. He averaged better than a strikeout per inning and more than three strikeouts for every one walk. It was his first full season in the Majors.
Forsythe, who just turned 27, logged time at five different positions for the Padres this past season: at second base, third base, shortstop, left field, and right field. He had poor results at the plate, however, wrapping up the season with a .613 OPS. Forsythe will become eligible for arbitration for the first time after the 2014 season.
[Update: The trade was originally reported to involve four players, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that at least five players will be involved.]
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 10
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)