Jan 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EST
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rays and Padres have agreed to a trade. The Rays will send reliever Alex Torres to the Padres and receive utilityman Logan Forsythe in return. Cotillo adds that each team will receive at least one additional prospect, though they have yet to be named. The deal is agreed upon but not yet final.
Torres, 26, had a fantastic 2013 season with the Rays, finishing with a 1.71 ERA in 58 innings. He averaged better than a strikeout per inning and more than three strikeouts for every one walk. It was his first full season in the Majors.
Forsythe, who just turned 27, logged time at five different positions for the Padres this past season: at second base, third base, shortstop, left field, and right field. He had poor results at the plate, however, wrapping up the season with a .613 OPS. Forsythe will become eligible for arbitration for the first time after the 2014 season.
[Update: The trade was originally reported to involve four players, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that at least five players will be involved.]
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)