Jan 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EST
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rays and Padres have agreed to a trade. The Rays will send reliever Alex Torres to the Padres and receive utilityman Logan Forsythe in return. Cotillo adds that each team will receive at least one additional prospect, though they have yet to be named. The deal is agreed upon but not yet final.
Torres, 26, had a fantastic 2013 season with the Rays, finishing with a 1.71 ERA in 58 innings. He averaged better than a strikeout per inning and more than three strikeouts for every one walk. It was his first full season in the Majors.
Forsythe, who just turned 27, logged time at five different positions for the Padres this past season: at second base, third base, shortstop, left field, and right field. He had poor results at the plate, however, wrapping up the season with a .613 OPS. Forsythe will become eligible for arbitration for the first time after the 2014 season.
[Update: The trade was originally reported to involve four players, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that at least five players will be involved.]
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (271)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)