Jan 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EST
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rays and Padres have agreed to a trade. The Rays will send reliever Alex Torres to the Padres and receive utilityman Logan Forsythe in return. Cotillo adds that each team will receive at least one additional prospect, though they have yet to be named. The deal is agreed upon but not yet final.
Torres, 26, had a fantastic 2013 season with the Rays, finishing with a 1.71 ERA in 58 innings. He averaged better than a strikeout per inning and more than three strikeouts for every one walk. It was his first full season in the Majors.
Forsythe, who just turned 27, logged time at five different positions for the Padres this past season: at second base, third base, shortstop, left field, and right field. He had poor results at the plate, however, wrapping up the season with a .613 OPS. Forsythe will become eligible for arbitration for the first time after the 2014 season.
[Update: The trade was originally reported to involve four players, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that at least five players will be involved.]
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 64
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 30
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)