SportsDash: What do the Yankees have in Tanaka?

Jan 22, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

One thing is for sure: his pitching repertoire is different than a lot of Japanese pitchers. I talked to Dave Briggs and Carolyn Manno about it on “SportsDash” this afternoon.

1. fanofevilempire - Jan 22, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Hal would disagree with your opinion on A-Rod,I was watching when he told YES he looks forward to him returning and Jeter would welcome him back to the Yankees clubhouse and any teammate who isn’t on board better with his return better keep it shut, I also remember his team and manager being pissed about him being thrown at last year. I really think those anonymous union members are
    pathetic at best.

• bigharold - Jan 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM

“Hal would disagree .. told YES he looks forward to him returning and Jeter would welcome him back to the Yankees clubhouse..’

Keep in mind that the Yankees will be paying A-Rod no matter what, .. unless A-Rod retires which isn’t likely. I’m sure Harold Steinbrenner wants him back and productive. Not merely because he’s still the best 3B the Yankees have but also so they don’t have to eat too much salary when they eventually trade A-Rod to the Marlins or Rays to finish out his career. I’ve no doubt that Jeter would be true to his word but there is a very good chance that Jeter will be retired by the time A-Rod is off suspension so it’s not likely he’ll have to back those words up.

The bottom line is if A-Rod comes back and can still drive the ball and still play decent 3B there will be a place for him on some team. When Darryl Strawberry was in his heyday with the Mets I hated that SOB. When he landed with the Yankees, and I realized his potential with the Yankee RF dimensions, I was practically giddy. When I was questioned about the inconsistency of my feelings towards Strawberry I pointed out that before he was a SOB but now he’s OUR SOB.

If after a year, with emotions easing, if A-Rod can still produce, .. no small “if”, the rest of the players will be fine with it.

• Jack Marshall - Jan 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

You are wrong. At a certain point, no team, even the Yankees, can afford to debase themselves. This is why nobody signed Bonds at the end, and why nobody will sign A-Rod. I guarantee it.

• bigharold - Jan 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM

“.. and why nobody will sign A-Rod. I guarantee it”

A-Rod is already signed until he’s 41 and the Yankees will have to pay him no matter what, .. so it’s not a question of signing him, he’ll be back. Even the Yankees aren’t going to walk away from $60+ mil. If he comes back and shows ANY ability he’ll play for the Yankees until that $60+ mil number gets down to something a lot more reasonable. And, don’t for a minute think that the Marlins wouldn’t want A-Rod as a gate draw, in A-Rods “home town”, if the Yankees were picking are picking up most of his salary. I guarantee it.

The key is how productive he will be when he comes back but that is a different issue. Whether he looks to get another contract for 2018, .. first he has to answer if he can play in 2015-17.

2. bigdaddy44 - Jan 22, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Jamarcus Russell?

3. tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Hopefully they have a waste of $21,000,000 a year that even dumb teams won’t bail them out of.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM

That is what you look forward to this year, I’m looking for a championship, because that is what Yankees prefer to do, spend money to win., buy a Yankee cap and join a winner.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Um….

The team I root for has won 3 World Series in the time it’s taken your Yankees to piss away $2.2 billion in the process of winning 1.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 22, 2014 at 5:07 PM

If you think I care how much the Yankees spend you are quite mistaken my friend,
        the Yankees are not short on money that is for sure.
        I congratulate you on those championships my friend you, deserved to win them all,I even smiled when you clinched in 2004 and you know how that ended for the Empire. I myself enjoyed the 2009 championship because we opened the new Palace the way she deserved after the way we closed down her sister with no playoff run.
        I always loved the way The Boss ran things, cha ching, so enjoy your run my friend because the Empire will be back!

4. Arods Other Doctor - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Once I see a Japanese pitcher throw like an ace for more than 2 years in MLB I will believe it can happen. Until then, I’m going to consider a contract like this an albatross for its last 5 years. I do think he’ll be quite tough this year with nobody having faced him yet, but unfortunately for the Yankees their offense is going to suck and he still won’t win more than 16-17 games.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM

while you are waiting on that I will be watching the games, have a good time.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Brian Cash-man said he will spend another 100 million to build out the remaining roster.
      Watch out suckers!

5. babehuee - Jan 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM

As a Yankee fan I’m thrilled with this offseason. I want my team to win. But when I pay good money to watch my team play I want to see great players and not what I saw last year. If Texas or Seattle or the Cubs had signed Tanaka all we would hear is what a great move it was. It was a GREAT move for the Yanks. Some teams draft good ball players and others are forced to buy their players. It’s all good. Can’t wait for the season to start!

6. skitd - Jan 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Craig forgot to add that they did it the Yankee way

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (4001)