Jan 22, 2014, 9:14 AM EDT
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com says that the Dbacks are out of the running for Masahiro Tanaka. It’s unclear if it’s because Tanaka has decided on another team of if the Dbacks just dropped out of the bidding.
It always seemed like Arizona was a long shot. Their pockets aren’t as deep as the Dodgers and the Yankees and, at least to the extent you can rely on such things, the reports of Tanaka’s non-monetary preferences such as the size of the Japanese community, ease of getting back and forth to Japan, etc., match up way better with L.A. and New York than they do Phoenix.
My guess is still Los Angeles. But we’ll know soon enough.
UPDATE: It’s reportedly the Yankees.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)