Jan 22, 2014, 9:14 AM EDT
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com says that the Dbacks are out of the running for Masahiro Tanaka. It’s unclear if it’s because Tanaka has decided on another team of if the Dbacks just dropped out of the bidding.
It always seemed like Arizona was a long shot. Their pockets aren’t as deep as the Dodgers and the Yankees and, at least to the extent you can rely on such things, the reports of Tanaka’s non-monetary preferences such as the size of the Japanese community, ease of getting back and forth to Japan, etc., match up way better with L.A. and New York than they do Phoenix.
My guess is still Los Angeles. But we’ll know soon enough.
UPDATE: It’s reportedly the Yankees.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)