Jan 22, 2014, 9:14 AM EDT
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com says that the Dbacks are out of the running for Masahiro Tanaka. It’s unclear if it’s because Tanaka has decided on another team of if the Dbacks just dropped out of the bidding.
It always seemed like Arizona was a long shot. Their pockets aren’t as deep as the Dodgers and the Yankees and, at least to the extent you can rely on such things, the reports of Tanaka’s non-monetary preferences such as the size of the Japanese community, ease of getting back and forth to Japan, etc., match up way better with L.A. and New York than they do Phoenix.
My guess is still Los Angeles. But we’ll know soon enough.
UPDATE: It’s reportedly the Yankees.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)