Jan 22, 2014, 9:14 AM EST
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com says that the Dbacks are out of the running for Masahiro Tanaka. It’s unclear if it’s because Tanaka has decided on another team of if the Dbacks just dropped out of the bidding.
It always seemed like Arizona was a long shot. Their pockets aren’t as deep as the Dodgers and the Yankees and, at least to the extent you can rely on such things, the reports of Tanaka’s non-monetary preferences such as the size of the Japanese community, ease of getting back and forth to Japan, etc., match up way better with L.A. and New York than they do Phoenix.
My guess is still Los Angeles. But we’ll know soon enough.
UPDATE: It’s reportedly the Yankees.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)