Jan 22, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
The appetizer is out of the way, now comes the entree: step aside, Tanaka. We all eagerly await the winner of the Yuniesky Betancourt derby:
Source: Yuniesky Betancourt less than a week away from making a decision on where he will sign. Multiple teams have been interested.
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) January 22, 2014
Finally, my inbox will stop being filled with “WHERE WILL YU-BET SIGN?” We’ll be spared the column after column of speculation on who will end up with him and what the legacy of the losing general managers may be. The logjam of infielders who can neither hit nor field all that well will finally break and we will have wave after wave of signings.
Or maybe this is just a matter of Betancourt’s agent trying to make a big show out of shopping his client around. Could be either, frankly.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 30
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 128
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (129)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)