Jan 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
As Thomas Harding of MLB.com notes, Gonzalez also had a small hernia near his navel repaired when his appendix was removed on January 10. It wouldn’t be surprising if he was a bit behind at the start of the Cactus League schedule, but there’s still plenty of time for him to get ready for the start of the regular season.
Gonzalez was limited to just 19 games after the All-Star break last year due to a sprained right middle finger, but he managed to avoid surgery. The Rockies are planning to give him a chance to take over as the full-time center fielder this season.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)