Jan 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EST
As Thomas Harding of MLB.com notes, Gonzalez also had a small hernia near his navel repaired when his appendix was removed on January 10. It wouldn’t be surprising if he was a bit behind at the start of the Cactus League schedule, but there’s still plenty of time for him to get ready for the start of the regular season.
Gonzalez was limited to just 19 games after the All-Star break last year due to a sprained right middle finger, but he managed to avoid surgery. The Rockies are planning to give him a chance to take over as the full-time center fielder this season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 30
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)