Jan 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
As Thomas Harding of MLB.com notes, Gonzalez also had a small hernia near his navel repaired when his appendix was removed on January 10. It wouldn’t be surprising if he was a bit behind at the start of the Cactus League schedule, but there’s still plenty of time for him to get ready for the start of the regular season.
Gonzalez was limited to just 19 games after the All-Star break last year due to a sprained right middle finger, but he managed to avoid surgery. The Rockies are planning to give him a chance to take over as the full-time center fielder this season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)