Jan 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EST
As Thomas Harding of MLB.com notes, Gonzalez also had a small hernia near his navel repaired when his appendix was removed on January 10. It wouldn’t be surprising if he was a bit behind at the start of the Cactus League schedule, but there’s still plenty of time for him to get ready for the start of the regular season.
Gonzalez was limited to just 19 games after the All-Star break last year due to a sprained right middle finger, but he managed to avoid surgery. The Rockies are planning to give him a chance to take over as the full-time center fielder this season.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (170)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)