Jan 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
As Thomas Harding of MLB.com notes, Gonzalez also had a small hernia near his navel repaired when his appendix was removed on January 10. It wouldn’t be surprising if he was a bit behind at the start of the Cactus League schedule, but there’s still plenty of time for him to get ready for the start of the regular season.
Gonzalez was limited to just 19 games after the All-Star break last year due to a sprained right middle finger, but he managed to avoid surgery. The Rockies are planning to give him a chance to take over as the full-time center fielder this season.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 45
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 40
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)