Jan 23, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Adam McCalvy of MLB.com hears that the holdup is not related to medical concerns and that it’s just taking some time to wrap up the deal. It’s still a weird situation, as FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Garza took his physical today and the Brewers were prepared to introduce him at a news conference.
7:26 p.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported earlier this afternoon that the Brewers and right-hander Matt Garza had agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract, but this mysterious Tweet from the team suggests that there could be a hitch in the plan:
It’s very unusual to see an announcement like this. Usually teams will not confirm or deny reports of signings until a physical is completed. As Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel speculates, this could be a sign that some physical issue has come up. For what it’s worth, Garza has dealt with elbow and lat issues in recent years. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Brewers general manager declined to comment when asked if there was a red flag during the physical.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)