Jan 23, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Adam McCalvy of MLB.com hears that the holdup is not related to medical concerns and that it’s just taking some time to wrap up the deal. It’s still a weird situation, as FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Garza took his physical today and the Brewers were prepared to introduce him at a news conference.
7:26 p.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported earlier this afternoon that the Brewers and right-hander Matt Garza had agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract, but this mysterious Tweet from the team suggests that there could be a hitch in the plan:
It’s very unusual to see an announcement like this. Usually teams will not confirm or deny reports of signings until a physical is completed. As Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel speculates, this could be a sign that some physical issue has come up. For what it’s worth, Garza has dealt with elbow and lat issues in recent years. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Brewers general manager declined to comment when asked if there was a red flag during the physical.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)