Jan 23, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Adam McCalvy of MLB.com hears that the holdup is not related to medical concerns and that it’s just taking some time to wrap up the deal. It’s still a weird situation, as FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Garza took his physical today and the Brewers were prepared to introduce him at a news conference.
7:26 p.m. ET: FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported earlier this afternoon that the Brewers and right-hander Matt Garza had agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract, but this mysterious Tweet from the team suggests that there could be a hitch in the plan:
It’s very unusual to see an announcement like this. Usually teams will not confirm or deny reports of signings until a physical is completed. As Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel speculates, this could be a sign that some physical issue has come up. For what it’s worth, Garza has dealt with elbow and lat issues in recent years. According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Brewers general manager declined to comment when asked if there was a red flag during the physical.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8