Jan 23, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
With Clayton Kershaw signing a seven-year, $215 million extension with the Dodgers last week and Masahiro Tanaka landing a seven-year, $155 million deal with the Yankees this week, the market for starting pitching is very lucrative right now. Jon Lester is currently due to hit free agency after next season, but he told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston today that he wants to stay with the Red Sox and like teammate Dustin Pedroia, he’s willing to take a discount in order to make it happen.
“I understand that to stay here, you’re not going to get a free-agent deal. You’re not going to do it. You can’t. It’s not possible. You’re bidding against one team. I understand you’re going to take a discount to stay. Do I want to do that? Absolutely.
“But just like they want it to be fair for them, I want it to be fair for me and my family.”
Lester is pretty adamant about his desire to remain in Boston, but no talks have taken place yet. While he’s hoping that will change during spring training, he hasn’t put a timeline on negotiations. He’ll be 31 next January, so a four or five-year deal in the $80-100 million range makes some sense, though his idea of a “discount” could be different than the Red Sox.
Lester, a second-round pick of the Red Sox in 2002, is 100-56 with a 3.76 ERA over his first eight seasons in the majors. He posted a 3.75 ERA and 177/67 K/BB ratio over a career-high 213 1/3 innings last season. The southpaw had a 1.56 ERA in five starts during the team’s World Series run.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)