Jan 23, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
With Clayton Kershaw signing a seven-year, $215 million extension with the Dodgers last week and Masahiro Tanaka landing a seven-year, $155 million deal with the Yankees this week, the market for starting pitching is very lucrative right now. Jon Lester is currently due to hit free agency after next season, but he told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston today that he wants to stay with the Red Sox and like teammate Dustin Pedroia, he’s willing to take a discount in order to make it happen.
“I understand that to stay here, you’re not going to get a free-agent deal. You’re not going to do it. You can’t. It’s not possible. You’re bidding against one team. I understand you’re going to take a discount to stay. Do I want to do that? Absolutely.
“But just like they want it to be fair for them, I want it to be fair for me and my family.”
Lester is pretty adamant about his desire to remain in Boston, but no talks have taken place yet. While he’s hoping that will change during spring training, he hasn’t put a timeline on negotiations. He’ll be 31 next January, so a four or five-year deal in the $80-100 million range makes some sense, though his idea of a “discount” could be different than the Red Sox.
Lester, a second-round pick of the Red Sox in 2002, is 100-56 with a 3.76 ERA over his first eight seasons in the majors. He posted a 3.75 ERA and 177/67 K/BB ratio over a career-high 213 1/3 innings last season. The southpaw had a 1.56 ERA in five starts during the team’s World Series run.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (128)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)