Jan 23, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
We’ve mentioned before that Marlins President David Samson is going to be a contestant on “Survivor.” Yesterday his little bio for the show was released. In those things, the contestants talk up their accomplishments and explain why they’ll win. Here’s Samson:
Personal Claim to Fame: Got local government in Miami to contribute over 350 million dollars to a new baseball park during the recession.
He’s actually understating things, as overruns put the public part of the stadium bill over $400 million.
But either way, that’s totally something to be proud of. Misleading officials about the benefits of the stadium and the dire straits the team was in when, in reality, the team was not going to move anyplace and was consistently turning a profit. Setting in motion a process that resulted in the bilking of taxpayers for more than anyone thought without their approval, costing multiple public officials their jobs and leading to an SEC investigation. Getting fans’ hopes up about bringing a winner to Miami and then quickly gutting the roster and thereby souring local fans on the team and the ballpark.
As claims to fame go, not bad. Not bad at all.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)