Jan 23, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
We’ve mentioned before that Marlins President David Samson is going to be a contestant on “Survivor.” Yesterday his little bio for the show was released. In those things, the contestants talk up their accomplishments and explain why they’ll win. Here’s Samson:
Personal Claim to Fame: Got local government in Miami to contribute over 350 million dollars to a new baseball park during the recession.
He’s actually understating things, as overruns put the public part of the stadium bill over $400 million.
But either way, that’s totally something to be proud of. Misleading officials about the benefits of the stadium and the dire straits the team was in when, in reality, the team was not going to move anyplace and was consistently turning a profit. Setting in motion a process that resulted in the bilking of taxpayers for more than anyone thought without their approval, costing multiple public officials their jobs and leading to an SEC investigation. Getting fans’ hopes up about bringing a winner to Miami and then quickly gutting the roster and thereby souring local fans on the team and the ballpark.
As claims to fame go, not bad. Not bad at all.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 0
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 36
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)