Jan 23, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
With questions all over their infield, many have speculated that free agent Stephen Drew could be a good fit for the Yankees. Now that the Yankees have blown past the $189 million threshold with the Masahiro Tanaka signing, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman hears that they are considering the possibility:
There has been a thought the Yankees might be willing to keep spending after landing star Japanese free agent pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. But while there doesn’t seem to be a push for another top starter or reliever, Drew is one free agent the Yankees are at least weighing, according to people familiar with their thinking.
The Yankees have spent $470 million already this winter, but there doesn’t appear to be a precise limit now that the luxury tax threshhold has already been surpassed — and that’s very likely especially true when it comes to Red Sox players. Although the Yankees apparently aren’t quite a bottomless pit of cash, a possible run at Drew “depends on the price” according to a person familiar with their thinking.
Drew has exclusively played shortstop in the majors, but he would likely play second base if Derek Jeter is healthy. That’s far from a guarantee, so he wouldn’t be bad insurance to have around. The Yankees brought back Brendan Ryan this offseason, but he obviously provides very little with the bat. As of now, the Yankees are counting on Brian Roberts to play second base and Kelly Johnson to play third base.
The market for Drew has been rather quiet this winter, partially because he’s attached to draft pick compensation, but also because there aren’t many teams in the market for shortstops. The door isn’t closed for a return to the Red Sox and the Mets are still lurking in the background, but Heyman speculates that Drew could be a fit with teams like the Blue Jays and A’s if he’s willing to play second base.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)